USBridge and Chord Mojo: Randomly stops playing

I still have issues.

I updated to the 2.3 version using the updater. One album played fine, but playback stopped in track #9 on the second album. The UI continued to function (as in playback continued normally in the UI), but there was no sound from Mojo. Today’s log file is here.

When playback stops, sometimes, I could not see “Mojo” in the Output device in Playback settings. But that was not the case now. It seems that Volumio thinks that it is connected to the DAC and playing music, but the connection is somehow lost. I don’t have this issue with Mojo with any other transport (Laptop or RPi3 connected via Schiit Wyrd) and I am using the same Mojo supplied cable ever since I got it. Power should not be an issue as I am powering both USBridge and Sparky. So, not sure if the issue lies elsewhere either.

I am not sure if this is an issue, but I don’t see a Mixer Control Name (MCN). I did see “Mojo”, “Mojo,1” listed as hardware mixers after I clean installed Volumio the second time. However, I don’t see it now. The Mixer control was “undefined”. When I select “Hardware”, the MCN combo box disappeared. I clicked on that area, I can see only an empty combo box.

Another unrelated question: Why is MP3 alone playing @ 24/44.1 instead of 16/44? I don’t see this issue with FLACs.

I am checking from your logs to understand what goes wrong.

I am having a similar issue with my Schiit Modi Multibit. The song starts to play for 5 to 6 seconds and then I get “failed to open audio output” error message and the music will come on and off continously.

When music cuts out I also get a “failed to open audio output” error. is this happening to you as well? I’m on beta 2.309 as well

Volumio team is investigating .

Hi everyone, we’re still investigating on this issue. As of now we need more info to be able to pinpoint where the issue is.

@grahamtaustin and @grahamtaustin could you please try to plug your DAC directly to Sparky instead of USB Bridge and see if that solves the issue? Please report back

@grahamtaustin could you please lower the buffer values to 10% and 2MB?

As always, as soon as you see the problem , please send us the logs

Here is a link to my bug report

logs.volumio.org/volumio/HjPzXCz.html

I’ve tried everything you mentioned. The problem is not occuring all the time but i do frequently get drop outs when music is playing, even when attached to the sparky board USB plug.

Thanks for all your help. Hoping it gets fixed soon!

I tried this, but the music stopped around the 7th track. Here is my log for today.

Hi thanks for your logs, they helped us identify where the problem might be.
I was also able to replicate the issue. We are in close contact with Allo to try to fix it

I’ll keep you posted

we are investigating

logs.volumio.org/volumio/5qWJCng.html

Here is another log, songs dropping out continously. 96khz / 24bit song.

There is a new image available, including a fix from Allo (URB 2.0 fix on the kernel).
Please let me know how it goes with it:

updates.volumio.org/sparky/volum … ky.img.zip

(totally untested by me since I am away from my studio…)

Installed it. I was very hopeful this would be the end of this issue. But, playback stopped on the second track itself :frowning:. Here’s the log.

After I switched Mojo off and on, I got a “Failed to open ALSA device” error. Usually, that works. Restarted Volumio, which usually takes a few seconds, but it didn’t this time. Had to switch USBridge off and on. Hope this session lasts longer.

Are you using it with wifi ?

Yes! Allo Wi-Fi Adapter in Sparky USB3 port.

We have found some issues on wifi (latest Volumio). The Volumio team is looking into it.

Another image to test, thanks guys for testing, this helps us narrow down where the issue is:
updates.volumio.org/sparky/volum … ky.img.zip

UPDATE: Found something interesting. Does the playback stop when you play .cue files?

I tried the latest test version yesterday. But, I was not listening. I just let USBridge play and checked the headphone frequently to see if it was still playing. Another difference yesterday was that my Chord Mojo battery ran out. So, I connected another old DAC-Amp I had (Leckerton UHA6S MKI). So, I will have to try this again today with Chord Mojo.

The playback seemed to stop once at the end of the second track (24/96 FLAC), but when I clicked the next button, it worked. After that, I added five more albums to the queue and they played just fine. No interruptions at all. I will test this again today or tomorrow and IF the problem occurs again, will upload a log file.

I have converted all my albums into individual tracks on the NAS and hence have no CUE files. I will try one or two albums with CUE files and report back on how it goes.

I was happy very briefly. But then, the issue is back. Here’s today’s log file. The playback stopped in the middle of the third track. Usually, switching Mojo off and on would work. It didn’t. As the next step, I restarted Volumio. But then, I got “ALSA: device not found” error. After this, I power cycled USBridge and then Mojo, all to no avail. It simply refused to play (“Device not found” error again).

I then connected Mojo to RPi3 -> Schiit Wyrd. It worked like a charm for the next five hours.

So,

1. USBridge had no issues with Leckerton UHA-6S MKI.
  2. Mojo had no issues with RPi3 (and Volumio on Pi3)
  3. Only USBridge + Mojo seems to be the problem :confused:

I was planing to buy the USBridge since I also own a Mojo. Thats why I would like to know if the problem os solved or be still worked on. Any feedback would be helpful.