Usb wifi dongle compatibility with RPI devices

Hi guys,

After the latest kernel update on RPI devices, some USB WIFI DONGLES are no longer supported.

Here it is the list to date:

NON WORKING:
TP-LINK TL WN8200ND WIFI USB ADAPTER
DLINK DWA 131
Edimax EW-7811
TP-Link TL-WN725N Nano
TP-Link Archer T2U

WORKING
ASUS USB-AC51

Please follow up this thread with your updates.

Thanks for your kind support and our apologize for any inconvenience

Best
DAVIDE VOLUMIO TECH SUPPORT

2 Likes

Can you give me the reason you are not building realtek drivers anymore? You can compile yourself and get edimax to work for example, why can’t you include it?

1 Like

We were not building them. We were fetching them from MrEngman repository, which has stopped providing them.

We decided not do do it because this will add a substantial overhead, and remove development resources from working on core Volumio. Considering all latest PI models have integrated Wi-Fi we consider this an acceptable drawback. For people which have a now-unsupported dongle, we are providing a list of known adapters (considering they cost 10 euros we consider that an acceptable trade-off).

In what way where they packaged?
Do you have an old package by him or something?

Maybe I can do something

They were here:
http://downloads.fars-robotics.net/wifi-drivers

Note that they must be compiled for all kernel revisions and all archs (v6,v7,v8)…

1 Like

I just want to confirm Wifi works (as best as I can confirm right now) with a TP-Link TL-WN823N:
WITH VOLUMIO 3.179 on a Raspberry Pi 2B (I haven’t checked with 3.233 yet, so if you want a dropbox link or something to 3.179 I can offer that, if it’s not against guidelines?) And you can get a TL-WN823N at probably any Target at the current time, aka they should be pretty available in stores.

*Side note: There seems to be something wrong with the app or my router, because it won’t connect directly, but instead through my phone’s hotspot that is connected to my home network (yes, I made sure cell network data was turned off). Thanks!

Hi,
I also have an unsupported dongle on PI2 with Volumio 3. I’m interested in this list of known adaptaters. Do you have a link to access it ?
Thank you

Hi, your TP-Link TL-WN823N works well witn newest Volumio?

ASUS USB-AC51 AC600 works.

Hello

Does the ASUS USB-AC51 AC600 work with Volumio 3 at 150Mbs?

Dear Matthew,
Please don’t post 3 times the same question…
Once is more than enough.

Best regards,
Dvo

Apologies - I am just learning.

Ok no hard feelings… we try to keep it clean and fun for everyone.

Best regards,

Dvo

I am very curious if there are still wifi dongles compatible with version 3.449 in combination with raspberry pi 2B.
Is the ASUS USB-AC51 still compatible or are there more options?
I’d love to hear your findings.