USB drive not detected after wifi disconnect

Hello, all.

I’ve been running Volumio 2.8 something on an RPi4 until recently without major issues.

However, I signed up for Spotify’s premium account and decided to try the respective plugin for Volumio. I installed the Spotify plugin but couldn’t get it to work (it just displayed nothing after trying to reach Spotify). In one of the posts here I read that that was a bug resolved in 2.917 - I installed the said version and all was good.

Now to the problem: I have regular DSL disconnects - the provider can’t or won’t do anything to remedy the issue despite multiple reports to support, maintenance personnel coming to investigate, etc. Unfortunately, there are no other Internet connection options in this building.

So, on 2.917 I noticed that after the DSL connection is dropped and then the router reconnects after some time, the USB drive attached to the RPi4 is not recognized anymore. Re-plugging the drive doesn’t help - only rebooting Volumio.

Any hints?

P.S. I’m thinking of trying Volumio 3 but seeing the sheer number of issues reported I’m somewhat reluctant to experiment. On the other hand it seems that staying on 2.917 or looking for an older version is not an option either.

Yes, create a log after the problem was reproduced.
How to send a log
I’m aware this log can be big, but it is the only way to have a closer look at the issue. Problem is, people might not be so keen on running after Volumio 2 issues.
I would take a spare SD card and install Volumio 3.

I believe you are exaggerating a bit, you do realize that more than half of your “issues” are from people asking for help with tinkering? (which is actually a positive thing).
Yes, there are a number of issues which have an impact on the way some people use Volumio, but the volumio team is working hard to iron them out.

And look at the total picture.
number of downloads versus unique issue.
if 100.000 people downloaded V3 and the forum has 300 unique reported issues, the error rate is still only 0.3% or 3000ppm

I don’t think it makes sense to spend time chasing a bug in a version that will not be supported soon.

That’s exactly what I did. Took a spare SD and installed Volumio 3. I had it running since last Friday, all looked good, especially on Sunday when the Internet connection dropped like 15 times and Volumio recovered w/o any problem.

I would have been happy to report everything is fine now, however, yesterday Volumio failed entirely. It finished playing a track from Bandcamp and could not put out any sound after that: Spotify, web radio, etc. The USB drive has been lost too. It recovered only a full restart (unplugging the power cable).

I don’t know if looking at the number of open issues in this thread is ‘exaggerating’. Maybe it is. And I do realise the issues might be caused by exotic setups and the majority of users would have something plain like my RPi4 / Topping E30. But remember, I have just tried 3 Volumio versions in a row all of which failed in one way or the other.

That sounds like something specific to your install, if all user’s setups would fail like that, we would not have any users left.
Would you please create a log?

How do you know the remaining 99.7% don’t encounter any issues - unique or otherwise? Just because they don’t report them, doesn’t mean they are not having any. How do you know they are using Volumio 3 at all?

Just trying to put everything in perspective and the majority of users will visit a forum in case of issues.
i am not going into if this if that or use open doors for that matter.

Here you go.

But again, migrating from 2.8x to 2.9x was caused by the Spotify plugin not working correctly - I found a post from another member in this forum, explicitly recommending to upgrade. I don’t think it has anything to do with my install.

The V3 version was a clean install (not an upgrade): used SD Card Formatter to full-format the card, Raspberry Pi Imager to burn.

The hardware is RPi4 4MB, Topping E30 DAC, 1TB Samsung T5 SSD.

With all due respect, unless you have statistics to support such a statement, it is just an assumption.