USB DAC recognition query x86

I have a Furutech ADL GT40a connected to a PC, which boots to Volumio from a USB stick.
Version 2.201 has the GT40 as an option in Outpt Device, which I can select, and defaults to MixerType=Hardware, Mixer Name=Speaker. Ths all works OK. Updating to 2.224 and to 2.254 maintains these settings and still works OK, and I am happy with the overall sound and the way Volumio works.
However, if I re-flash the USB stick to 2.201 and do not select the GT40 in Output Device at this point, but carry on updating, then the final update does not allow me to pick a GT40 but only a generic USB Audio device. This option does not seem to fit my DAC because on the 2 occasions I tested this behaviour I got some distortion on playback.
I can live with this situation for now but need to have the GT40 as an option in the future for when your next major download is released, assuming 2.254 will be the basis for that next download and that this is where the GT40 has gone missing from.

Hi Nick,
could you do ctr-alt- F1 and login with volumio/volumio?
Then do aplay -l and report what you get.
It would be nice if you could do that at every update stage for both your situations (with selecting GT40 at the beginning and selecting it after updating).

– Gé –

I think this will require 3 x reflashes to cover all circumstances and these take me over 40 minutes a time with the updates, Will do so and post all outcomes in 2 to 3 days time.

Here are the initial aplay -l results:

A) Flash USB stick to 2.201 only. GT40 is available in the Output dropdown, and I could select and save this.

Test 1 – Result 1 (V 2.201 installed – no updates)
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC662 rev1 Analog [ALC662 rev1 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC662 rev1 Digital [ALC662 rev1 Digital]
card 5: GT40▒ [FURUTECH ADL GT40α], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
volumio@volumio:~$

Test 2: Flashed to 2.201 then updated to 2.224 - no changes to any default settings made (ie GT40 not looked for or selected)

At this point I looked for the GT40 in the Output selector - it was not available ( only ALC662 analog + USB Audio)

Test 3
Flashed to 2.201, GT40 selected and saved, then system updated to 2.224

The Gt40 remained as the selected Output device at this point.

After Test 3 I also updated to 2.254 (ie the GT40 had been selected after the initial flashing). The GT40 was still showing as the Output device.

I have got more results, plus issues with what happens when changing the Mixer type, but I hope these are enough to let you track the issue down (although I cannot see any differences in the code here).
Will post more if you want!
Thanks

I can confirm an issue with listing ALSA devices on version 2.254.
Whether this is a general issue or not, I cannot say at this stage.
It will be discussed with the UI devs as soon as time allows.

– Gé –