USB DAC not Recognized in config screen

Volumio 3 Issues?

I have been running a Schitt Modi 3 with all of the recent Volumio builds prior to Volumio 3. The DAC used to show up as a selection in the output device screen. Now I do not have any USB option shown, just Headphones and HDMI. The USB powers the DAC as the light is on. I have also tried separately powering the DAC, but it is still not recognized by Volumio 3. I have reset, reloaded, cleaned contacts, changed cables.

Any idea where to go from here to stay on 3 or might it be best to revert?

Thanks much for any suggestions.

Reverting to V2 only solves your issue temporarily.
V2 will go EOL soon and there will be no support.

That said, could you provide a log or at least say whether you are using a PI, Tinkerboard or x86, guessing is not our best skill.

1 Like

Sorry about that. I’m still crawling when it comes to Linux. But this will get me working to find out where and how to get the log files for this.

The player is running on a Pi 3B+. It was upgraded via the upgrade path supplied by Volumio.

This was one of two near identical systems that were updated by me sequentially. The first system works fine. The difference is the working system outputs to a newer Schitt Gungnir that was recognized with no issues. The modi is older, and is not recognized.

I know that the USB drivers for these two DAC units are different. So my guess is there is some sort of handshake that isn’t supported or mis-timed between Volumio 2 and 3.

To confirm, Volumio 2 version listed the Modi DAC by name in the selection list. Volumio 3 does not. The Volumio 3 instance appears to be fine in all the other ways. It connects fine with the interface and the NAS.

I’ll get the logs this evening.

Thanks!

To get this right, with PI 3B+, the Schitt modi 3 does not work with volumio 3, but a Schitt Gungnir does?

That is correct. Realize that Schitt has done a lot of messing with their USB interface. The Modi I have is the oldest and least sophisticated.

There could be usb issues, to confirm we would need a log.
Howto: Send a log

Didn’t know there was a utility. Figured I’d need to hunt it down extract it myself… Merry Christmas to me!

Thank you!

http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/5D8zAvZ.html

There are usb issues as I expected, try another port, another cable?

Dec 09 19:02:32 volumioshop kernel: hub 1-1.1:1.0: USB hub found
Dec 09 19:02:32 volumioshop kernel: hub 1-1.1:1.0: 3 ports detected
Dec 09 19:02:32 volumioshop kernel: usb 1-1-port1: disabled by hub (EMI?), re-enabling...
Dec 09 19:02:32 volumioshop kernel: usb 1-1.1: USB disconnect, device number 3
Dec 09 19:02:32 volumioshop kernel: usb 1-1.1-port2: attempt power cycle
Dec 09 19:02:32 volumioshop kernel: usb 1-1.1: new high-speed USB device number 8 using dwc_otg
Dec 09 19:02:32 volumioshop kernel: usb 1-1.1: New USB device found, idVendor=0424, idProduct=2514, bcdDevice= b.b3
Dec 09 19:02:32 volumioshop kernel: usb 1-1.1: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=0, SerialNumber=0
Dec 09 19:02:32 volumioshop kernel: hub 1-1.1:1.0: USB hub found
Dec 09 19:02:32 volumioshop kernel: hub 1-1.1:1.0: 3 ports detected
Dec 09 19:02:32 volumioshop kernel: usb 1-1.1-port2: Cannot enable. Maybe the USB cable is bad?
Dec 09 19:02:32 volumioshop kernel: usb 1-1.1-port2: Cannot enable. Maybe the USB cable is bad?
Dec 09 19:02:32 volumioshop kernel: usb 1-1.1-port2: attempt power cycle