UPNP indexing service

Hi,

in the latest release notes of 1.4 you mention UPNP indexing service which will index all the tunes served by DLNA Servers.

How can this feature be used, I mean are the songs from my Plex DLNA server indexed just like songs from the local share? Can I use my MPD control app just like before, there would be no difference between DLNA and local from the client point of view?

Thanks.

Go to system and enable it, you’ll be browsing upnp shares like normal files. Altough first indexing takes ages…

Let me know how it goes…

@michelangelo: I’m using 1.4 and tried the UPNP\DLNA Indexing service but it does not work at all. The library contains all my songs when accessing them through the web interface, but the UPNP Library does not return anything (except empty folders for artists etc.). All three switches in the “Settings / Services management” section are turned on.

Can you give me some advice how to get this working?

My NAS provides CIFS and NFS exports and also offers a DLNA server. Which is it more efficient to point Volumio at?

I would suggest CIFS! :wink:

I can’t find the DLNA Indexing option, has this been removed?

Look in the settings under ‘Sources’.

Are you referring to the Update and Rescan option under “My Music”?
This works for NAS or network folders for me, but it doesn’t seem to work for DLNA Media Servers.

You can enable UPNP renderer … which I can see above in your screen shot, and also DLNA browser. DLNA sources are scanned automatically.

They are both enabled and browsing my DLNA library works.
What does not work is for example search, it only shows results from web-radio and Spotify.
And I assume if I had added shared folders that would also show.
But no hits from DLNA-library.

I also expected, if the DLNA library was indexed, that I could browse Artists, Albums and Genres

Even if I browse into my DLNA library and attempt to search, it only returns 0 hits.

It seems you are correct about searching the DLNA library. I had assumed the same as you, but had never tried it. I use direct file sharing through nfs or cifs, because I suspect it is more robust and speedier than DLNA.

You may wish to raise it on GitHub - volumio/Volumio2: Volumio 2 - Audiophile Music Player as an issue, but I suspect it will not be a priority to fix.

Yeah, unfortunately Volumio is…well, unuseable without some kind of library management and (smart) playlist generation.
In my case I have MediaMonkey for that, which has a DLNA server I can browse from Volumio which works well enough for my use, I was just stumped when I tried searching for tunes and found nothing.
I then searched the forum and found this post that claimed DLNA servers were indexed.
Maybe the indexing only provides faster browsing…if it is indexed at all.

The appealing function is that Volumio (DLNA plays) updates the MediaMonkey database, which in turn updates playlists based on last played, play count, skip count etc etc.