Unable to mount the NAS

I’m new to Volumio and have just downloaded and flashed v3.

I’ve tried many different solutions already posted here for mounting a NAS but was unable to get it to work.

I’m using a Dlink DNS345 NAS.

I’m able to SSH to the pi and here are the response.
sudo showmount -e 192.168.86.81 (NAS IP)
Export list for 192.168.86.81:
/mnt/HD/HD_a2 192.168.86.186 (Pi IP)
/mnt/HD/HD_a2/Music 192.168.86.186

sudo systemctl status nfs*
● nfs-client.target - NFS client services
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/nfs-client.target; enabled; vendor preset
Active: active since Tue 2021-12-14 04:21:26 UTC; 1h 17min ago

Dec 14 04:21:26 hifi-streaming systemd[1]: Reached target NFS client services.

Here’s the log.
http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/Y3oj2Fy.html

I get this error
Error when adding network drive

exec error Error: Command failed: /usr/bin/sudo /bin/mount -t nfs -o ro,soft,noauto,‘vers=1.0’ ‘192.168.86.81:mnt/HD/HD_a2/Music’ ‘/mnt/NAS/Music’ mount.nfs: mount system call failed

Highly appreciate all your help guys. Thank you!

Here are the mount settings I have now. Tried these 2 options.

I also tried these 2 variations with NFS option as well.

I’m a bit confused here in that your ‘Paths’ entered in the UI don’t match the export paths or the ones in the error.

In the log:

Dec 14 04:23:50 hifi-streaming volumio[792]: info: Error mounting Music on IP 192.168.86.81 : exec error Error: Command failed: /usr/bin/sudo /bin/mount -t nfs -o ro,soft,noauto ‘192.168.86.81:/Volume_1/Music’ ‘/mnt/NAS/Music’
Dec 14 04:23:50 hifi-streaming volumio[792]: mount.nfs: access denied by server while mounting 192.168.86.81:/Volume_1/Music

access is denied by the server, because that path hasn’t been set as accessible for your device.

Go back to your NAS, and delete your network shares (for Volumio). Select the appropriate folder again (Volume_1/Music), choose NFS as your access method, and add ‘*’ as the host (allows all devices in your home network to access the share).

In the Volumio UI, use /Volume_1/Music as path, select nfs (no need to add password, username, or options), and hopefully it will work fine.

Note that you can always go back and alter the ‘host’ setting to the actual IP address of your RPi if you wish for more security (personally I trust all the devices on my home network).

Hi @chsims1

Unfortunately, it doesn’t work. And I should mention that I have no issues accessing this from windows and mac OS. I haven’t tried any linux based systems.

I get this error now

With default NAS name (screenshot attached)
Error in mounting share Music

exec error Error: Command failed: /usr/bin/sudo /bin/mount -t nfs -o ro,soft,noauto ‘MULTMEDIA:/Volume_1/Music’ ‘/mnt/NAS/Music’ mount.nfs: Failed to resolve server MULTMEDIA: System error

Log
http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/h3V4idO.html

With IP address hardcoded (screenshot attached)

exec error Error: Command failed: /usr/bin/sudo /bin/mount -t nfs -o ro,soft,noauto ‘192.168.86.81:Volume_1/Music’ ‘/mnt/NAS/Music’ mount.nfs: access denied by server while mounting 192.168.86.81:Volume_1/Music

Log
http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/05vVqAY.html

In both options, Volumio seems to be adding an extra “/” into the path. Highlighted in red in the screenshot. Deleting this and resaving hasn’t changed anything either.

I’ve attached a screenshot of the NAS settings too. It’s red because it’s selected. Not an error.

Thanks once again!!

Image 001 - 21-22
Image 001 - 21-31
Image 001 - 21-38
Image 001 - 21-47
Image 001 - 21-56
Image 001 - 22-02

looking at the screenshot and log, I think your mount share is Music
So in Volumio just type Music.

@Wheaten, that doesn’t work too.

This option with default selection gives the following error.

exec error Error: Command failed: /usr/bin/sudo /bin/mount -t nfs -o ro,soft,noauto ‘MULTMEDIA:/Music’ ‘/mnt/NAS/Music’ mount.nfs: Failed to resolve server MULTMEDIA: System error

This option with forced IP address gives this error

exec error Error: Command failed: /usr/bin/sudo /bin/mount -t nfs -o ro,soft,noauto ‘192.168.86.81:/Music’ ‘/mnt/NAS/Music’ mount.nfs: access denied by server while mounting 192.168.86.81:/Music

you shared for all accounts but the screenshot doesn’t show any account information. Hence the error access denied.
I would expect here a username or everybody or …

Hi @Wheaten, apologies. Still doesn’t work.

I created a new user and gave NFS access and access to the network share ‘Music’.

It gives me this error.

exec error Error: Command failed: /usr/bin/sudo /bin/mount -t nfs -o ro,soft,noauto ‘192.168.86.81:/Music’ ‘/mnt/NAS/Music’ mount.nfs: access denied by server while mounting 192.168.86.81:/Music

Image 001 - 43-37

Managed to solve the issue.

• A user must be created on the NAS.
  • The user must have a password assigned.
  • Use the NAS IP address and not the name as Volumio adds the name automatically.
  • The path should be whatever the network share you have created and assigned the above user to. Only use the network share name without “/”.
  • NFS didn’t work for me. Use CIFS. However, ensure NFS is allowed on your network share.
  • Use ‘vers=1.0’ in Options field.
  • It should prompt you to enter the login credentials if the settings were done correctly.

1 Like

So finally changing NFS to CIFS again did the trick?

• If you use CIFS, no need to activate NFS
  • you should only force to vers=1.0 if a higher version is not supported on your NAS.

Good to hear it finally got solved!

Hi @Wheaten

Yes. NFS wasn’t working at all.

I wouldn’t want to touch any settings now as it’s working. Spent over 6 hours trying to figure this out.

Two things I would like to clarify though;
Is using CIFS over NFS affects the sound quality in any way?
Is using CIFS 1.0 affects the sound quality compared to using a higher version?

Thanks!

Here you find some explanation between the 2:
https://ipwithease.com/cifs-vs-nfs-what-is-the-difference-cifs-stands-for/

It will not impact the sound quality, bits are bits. Unless you have a weak connection than NFS has less overhead and would be advised.

Ok, this appears to be a case of the way the NAS presents the share to the network. If your last working config with path ‘Music’ works, then I would expect the same path to work with NFS.

Glad you’re sorted though, and can appreciate that you don’t want to fiddle. As Wheaten says the protocol won’t affect audio quality. Cifs v1.0 is less secure than later versions, but in a home network, I doubt that this is a problem.