Unable to control volume

Hi, I am using a RPi B with the Hifiberry DAC and Volumio 1.55. Using the HiFiBerry I get lots of distortion which I figured could be fixed by lowering the volume. But since I attached the DAC the volume control in the Volumio interface stopped working.

** Edit: Apparently everything works fine - with excellent sound - except Spotify! Which was my only source of audio. Spotify via Airplay works fine as well because it is possible to lower the volume from the streaming device. **

My mpd.conf is as follows

follow_outside_symlinks “yes”
follow_inside_symlinks “yes”
db_file “/var/lib/mpd/tag_cache”
sticker_file “/var/lib/mpd/sticker.sql”
log_file “/var/log/mpd/mpd.log”
pid_file “/var/run/mpd/pid”
music_directory “/var/lib/mpd/music”
playlist_directory “/var/lib/mpd/playlists”
state_file “/var/lib/mpd/state”
user “mpd”
bind_to_address “any”
port “6600”
zeroconf_enabled “yes”
zeroconf_name “volumio”
samplerate_converter “Fastest Sinc Interpolator”
volume_normalization “no”
audio_buffer_size “2048”
buffer_before_play “20%”
filesystem_charset “UTF-8”
id3v1_encoding “UTF-8”
gapless_mp3_playback “yes”
auto_update “no”
mixer_type “software”
group “audio”
max_connections “20”

decoder {
plugin “ffmpeg”
enabled “yes”
}

input {
plugin “curl”
}

audio_output {

type           "alsa"
             name           "Output"
             device         "hw:0,0"
             dop    "no"

}

I have tried to lower the volume with amixer, but using the command amixer scontrols gives nothing. With alsamixer I can see that the Hifiberry has no controls, which maybe makes sense since it has no hardware volume control (?, I’m very new to this). And lowering the volume on the bcm2835 ALSA does nothing. Anyhow, I want to be able to lower the master volume to possibly get rid of the “distortion”.

** Edit: Apparently everything works fine - with excellent sound - except Spotify! Which was my only source of audio. Spotify via Airplay works fine as well because it is possible to lower the volume from the streaming device. **

Any help is appreciated!

Best regards,

Max Karlsson

hi,
when you say Spotify is not working, what do you mean : not Spotify at all or you cannot set volume ?
Because Spopd used to connect and play Spotify can’t use software volume mode of Volumio. And Hiffiberry do not support hardware volume control.
If your problem is volume setting, I wrote a script (far from beeing perfect) wich allow you to set the Spotify volume from the webUI. BUT each time you change volume it kills ( and restarts Spopd) . It means taht if your are listenning a song and changing volume, it stops playing and you have to reselect the the song to continue playing… Here the link : https://volumio.org/forum/volume-control-issues-for-spotify-t1948-20.html

Thanks for the reply and sorry for my poor searching skills, I should have found that thread. Spotify is working but I’m unable to set the volume as everyone else in that thread, so same problem for me.

I will try your script! Thank you!