TUTORIAL - Update to MPD Version 0.18.9

Thanks for your reply michelangelo.

I’ll have a look at my /etc/apt/sources.list and get back to this thread. Do you suggest I should comment all the lines where jessie is not mentioned ?

I may also restart from scratch (flashing Volumio 1.5 image on the SD card).

hi, i’m a newbie of linux.
just got my rpi a few days ago and feel excited in it.
i want to let my volumio-pi support cue and ape files, so i tried to update my mpd.
but i bumped into some trouble.

after working hard, i finally knew that to compile on volumio should install libboost-all-dev and libglib2.0-dev, first. (which is not mentioned here as you guys familiar with the linux compiling, but poor me as a linux newbie dont know it… ( T ___ T )

however, i still got “illegal structure” while all things done and trying to start mpd.
would somebody please tell me that, is there still any other modules should be installed before updating mpd ?

thanks to dakku for posting this thread to give me a chance to learn about updating mpd, and thanks to a kind one who will telling me how to solve my problem.

Hi! I just updated to the latest MPD version:

root@volumio:/usr/bin# mpd -V Music Player Daemon 0.19.9

Strangely enough – and I might be imagining things – but I have the feeling audio quality is considerably less round, precise and warm then it was before. Anybody has any idea why this might be and what to do about it? Has Volumio any build-in optimisations that get lost during the update process for example?

I’m using the Hifiberry DAC+ by the way.

In my mpd.conf I see nothing out of the ordinary too:

[code]audio_output {

type 		"alsa"
	 name 		"Output"
	 device 	"hw:0,0"
	 mixer_control 	"Playback Digital"
	 mixer_device 	"hw:0"
	 mixer_index 	"0"
	 dop 	"no"

}
[/code]

Thnx!

Now you mention it, I had 19.9 a couple of weeks back until a power cut crashed my SD card. Flashed stock 1.55 back on it and I thought it sounded better. I thought might have been imagining it too!

Hmmm… I’m in Paris right now, but as soon as I’m back (somewhere next week), I’ll buy an extra micro-sd and put Volumio 1.55 on it to compare!

It’ll remain somewhat subjective though, since I don’t really have a way to measure this I guess…

Ok… I bought a new micro-SD and put Volumio on it, and it indeed sounds really a lot better then when updated to the latest MPD. Why this is, is still a mystery to me though.

Will.

Hi,

I’m sorry, but I’m afraid I don’t really understand you :wink:

Thnx!

hi,
could anyone provide exactly same params for MPD ./configure that you use in volumio?

thanks

volumio.readthedocs.org/en/lates … ngmpd.html

FYI - when I update MPD to 0.19.11, I found out that to compile you need minimum automake1.11, not automake1.9. Just update the version of automake you install.