Turning off USB to save power

Sounds like a strange issue, I’d suggest just using the USB output instead of hat too. Assuming nothing is corrupt (pi or SD cards).

I’m just using an old pixel PD phone charger for power to rpi4, an SSD drive (SanDisk SD) and ethernet. Works perfectly and sounds from USB output to DAC is as good as you’d ever need. Can’t imagine you really need hats these days. Anything other than SSD/flash memory needs its own power supply (mechanical hard drives etc).

Worth a go, or testing another power supply.
I leave it on all the time, stuff all power consumption… I do still need to reboot every so often as it seems to ‘lose’ the media library/device but this isn’t too much effort - just no idea why

What software are you using to write Volumio image to your SDcards? I was using Balena Etcher which gave me all sort of issues - slow booting OS, frequent hangs etc. I switched to Rufus and many of these problems went away. Not sure if these software introduce bad blocks in the cards…

That’s interesting. I am using Balena etcher. I’ll give Rufus a try -thank you

Thanks. I did an A/ B comparison of USB to Hat. Though there’s no saying that might the DAC. The digione sounded a lot better imho.
I’ve taken you advice with the power though and leaving it powered does help the SQ.

That’s alright if you already have the HAT, and I’m sure they were great particularly with the older RPi’s but the RPi4 is pretty good using USB (none of the previous issues/noise etc), lower power consumption, much cheaper and more simple. It sounds pretty darn good to me into the Adi-2 FS but yeah everyone’s mileage and needs may differ.
Cheers,

I must say - I feel the Digione sounds much better than the USB on the RPi4 but as you say that may be synergy with my DAC

That’s all good man, if money was no issue I’d get the best of the best hats
Even with my DACmagic sounds good, this rme has cleaned it up more. It’s awesome sound gear, testing different setups hey. My Yamaha hs80m still do the job and have never even considered upgrading