Trying to setup Pi B+ for the 1st time but no audio

Hi All,

I just got a raspberry B+ and I would like one day to use the following setup:

Behringer UCA202 DAC
Freecom Mobile Drive
D-Link DWA-127 wireless
KRK Rokit 6 speakers

However, so far I am nowhere near achieving this dream. I can not even get a radio stream to play. Currently I am connecting with an ethernet cable and I can see Volumio from my laptop but that is it. If I connect speakers via headphone jack or via the above DAC I hear nothing. I’m not even sure if the radio station is playing so I don’t know if the issue is with the installation, the output, or me just being an idiot and not pressing the right button.

I am completely new to linux so I have no idea where to start. Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated. Please explain things to me like I’m 5 though.

Many thanks in advance.

Woo! I made a little progress! Some radio stations seems to work and some do not. Current working setup:

Pi B+ connected to network with ethernet cable
Sound playing out of headphone jack connected to headphones (Grado SR80)
Example of working radio station: VeniceClassicRadioItalia

Possibly helpful additional notes:
With the above setup the volume needs to be quite high e.g 90 is a comfortable volume
A working radio station will continue to count the time on the lefthand display, one that does not work will count for a few seconds (e.g 10s) and then reset to 0.
The sound quality with this setup, unsurprisingly, is not good at all. e.g continual hissing sound

DAC also works now. I did not have to do anything. I just plugged it in and it worked. The sound quality is now vastly better. No obvious issues with the sound at this stage but I have not checked very carefully.

No luck with the wifi still. I have absolutely no idea what is wrong, or where to start in trying to fix it.

Hi Jonny,
it you feel confortable with the command line please post the content of the file

/etc/network/interfaces

with Volumio 1.5 I’ve the same issue, but i solved it by editing this configuration file with the right instructions.

You can find some usefull guide here:

learn.adafruit.com/adafruits-ra … p/overview

and obviusly in the forum faq section:

faq-and-the-answers-for-t1545.html

Bye bye

Hi m3m3nto,

Thank you very much for helping. I am not very comfortable with terminal but I did manage to ssh in (for people like me who do not know these things, to ssh in, open a terminal and type: ssh -X volumio@put_the_ip_address_here_instead_of_this_text ). Typing

sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces

I get

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wireless-power off
wireless-essid XXXXXXXXXXXXX
wireless-key XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

I have not had a chance to look through the guides yet but this definitely gives me a place to start so thank you!

You can also try the command ‘dmesg’ at the command line to see if any error messages are posted about the wlan connection.

I you have a hidden SSID, make sure to add the following line to your ‘interfaces’ file:

wpa-scan_ssid 1

Hi jonny,
well try adding:

allow-hotplug wlan0

so you should have a /etc/network/interfaces like this:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto wlan0
allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wireless-power off
wireless-key XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

and if you have the same problem try to comment out the line containing:

wireless-power off

putting a # in front of the line:

#wireless-power off

My wifi dongle seems to work only with the power managment activated - but I can’t figure out why :wink:

Remember that you can check current configured interfaces with the command

Byeee!

@Jonny: feedback plz! Is the wifi dongle working with the config file from m3m3nto?

Hi,

With a very cheap wifi dongle I had to setup static wifi network settings and disbale auto ethernet to make it work :

sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces

[code]auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet static
address 192.168.XXX.XXX
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.XXX.XXX
wireless-key XXXXXXXXXXXXXX[/code]

sudo reboot

Julien

Hi

I’m really sorry I took so long to reply. I tried both of m3m3nto’s suggestions and they did not seem to work. Currently I have

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto wlan0
allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
#wireless-power off
wireless-essid VodafoneBED7
wireless-key eBxkAPTpMVh6kv

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

and it does not seem to work in so much as, if I start up the Pi without the ethernet cable I can not find volumio or ssh in.

OK so I just tried djoulle’s suggestion and now I can not ssh in without, or even with the ethernet cable.