Tinkerboard and DACs/Transports

Has anyone found any DACs or transports that work with the Tinkerboard?

I received my ASUS Tinker Board today and have been testing.

Bad news: it recognises my Bel Canto mLink USB-SPDIF box (ā€˜B20ā€™) connected to my Naim N272 DAC but no sound comes out. This same connection worked perfectly with my O-DROID C2 but I want to use the Tinker Board on that system due to the superior wired Ethernet / USB connectivity.

Good news: it worked first time connected to my Naim DAC-V1 over USB (ā€˜Audiophilleocomā€™). And sounded great too :slight_smile:

More testing ahead to try and find out why itā€™s not working with the Bel Canto mLink :neutral_face:

Always be careful when reading Asusā€™ comparision with ā€œother SBC boardsā€ as ā€œotherā€ does not mean ā€œall otherā€ :mrgreen:
I know Tinker and C2 very well and see the Tinker board being comparable but not superior over a C2 at any point, expecially not with ethernet.
C2 also has an onboard Gigabit controller (unlike the PIs) and bi-directional speed is ~920Mbps due to double-buffer Tx in the S905 chip.
There is no USB speed reduction during LAN transmission as Asus claims, with a C2 (and a few other SBCs) the LAN and USB ports does not share the same controller, unlike a Raspberry.

Anyway, when you connect the Bel Canto mLink, could you please dolsusb -t lsusb -v and report back?
I fear your DAC does not get recognized, which could be a kernel issue which needs checking.

OK understood, will look at the specs with a more skeptical eye in future!

Hereā€™s the output of the lsusb -t command:

/: Bus 03.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ehci-platform/1p, 480M |__ Port 1: Dev 2, If 0, Class=Audio, Driver=snd-usb-audio, 480M |__ Port 1: Dev 2, If 1, Class=Audio, Driver=snd-usb-audio, 480M |__ Port 1: Dev 2, If 2, Class=Audio, Driver=snd-usb-audio, 480M |__ Port 1: Dev 2, If 3, Class=Audio, Driver=snd-usb-audio, 480M |__ Port 1: Dev 2, If 4, Class=Audio, Driver=snd-usb-audio, 480M |__ Port 1: Dev 2, If 5, Class=Audio, Driver=snd-usb-audio, 480M |__ Port 1: Dev 2, If 255, Class=Human Interface Device, Driver=usbhid, 480M /: Bus 02.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=dwc2/1p, 480M /: Bus 01.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=dwc2/1p, 480M |__ Port 1: Dev 2, If 0, Class=Hub, Driver=hub/4p, 480M |__ Port 4: Dev 3, If 0, Class=Audio, Driver=snd-usb-audio, 480M |__ Port 4: Dev 3, If 1, Class=Audio, Driver=snd-usb-audio, 480M |__ Port 4: Dev 3, If 2, Class=Application Specific Interface, Driver=, 480M

The lsusb -v command outputs a lot of text so I put it on pastebin: https://pastebin.com/1LpwYAds

The Bel Canto got recognozed as a usb audio 2.0 device, which seems ok.
Curious what the output is of

aplay -l

Here you go:

volumio@volumio-on-asus-tinker-board:~$ aplay -l **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices **** card 0: rockchipminiarm [rockchip,miniarm-codec], device 0: ff890000.i2s-i2s-hifi i2s-hifi-0 [] Subdevices: 1/1 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0 card 1: B20 [Bel Canto uLinkUSB Audio 2.0], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio] Subdevices: 1/1 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0 card 2: TinkerAudio [TinkerAudio], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio] Subdevices: 1/1 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0 card 2: TinkerAudio [TinkerAudio], device 1: USB Audio [USB Audio #1] Subdevices: 1/1 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0 card 2: TinkerAudio [TinkerAudio], device 2: USB Audio [USB Audio #2] Subdevices: 1/1 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

So Iā€™ve ordered another ODROID C2 to replace my recalcitrant ASUS Tinker Board so shortly Iā€™ll reflash the SD card on the ASUS and repurpose (as a ZWave+/LAN bridge FWIW). But before I do here is some additional outputs that may help track down what is going for, for the benefit of others:

root@volumio-on-asus-tinker-board:/# cat /proc/asound/card1/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params closed

root@volumio-on-asus-tinker-board:/# cat /proc/asound/card1/pcm0p/sub0/info card: 1 device: 0 subdevice: 0 stream: PLAYBACK id: USB Audio name: USB Audio subname: subdevice #0 class: 0 subclass: 0 subdevices_count: 1 subdevices_avail: 1

root@volumio-on-asus-tinker-board:/# lsmod Module Size Used by xt_REDIRECT 16384 1 nf_nat_redirect 16384 1 xt_REDIRECT iptable_nat 16384 1 ip_tables 20480 1 iptable_nat snd_usb_audio 122880 1 8723bs 1232896 0 snd_hwdep 16384 1 snd_usb_audio snd_usbmidi_lib 24576 1 snd_usb_audio snd_seq_midi 16384 0 snd_seq_midi_event 16384 1 snd_seq_midi snd_rawmidi 24576 2 snd_usbmidi_lib,snd_seq_midi overlay 40960 1

root@volumio-on-asus-tinker-board:/# cat /proc/asound/cards 0 [rockchipminiarm]: rockchip_miniar - rockchip,miniarm-codec rockchip,miniarm-codec 1 [B20 ]: USB-Audio - Bel Canto uLinkUSB Audio 2.0 Bel Canto uLink Bel Canto uLinkUSB Audio 2.0 at usb-ff540000.usb-1.4, high spee 2 [TinkerAudio ]: USB-Audio - TinkerAudio Realtek TinkerAudio at usb-ff500000.usb-1, high speed

root@volumio-on-asus-tinker-board:/# cat /proc/asound/pcm 00-00: ff890000.i2s-i2s-hifi i2s-hifi-0 : : playback 1 01-00: USB Audio : USB Audio : playback 1 02-00: USB Audio : USB Audio : playback 1 : capture 1 02-01: USB Audio : USB Audio #1 : playback 1 : capture 1 02-02: USB Audio : USB Audio #2 : playback 1

I had use the tinkerboard with chord Hugo and it does not detect. What can be the issue? Driver ?

Hi,

Please supply the output from lsusb -t lsusb -v like above.
Did you connect the DAC via USB only (power from the Tinker Board) ?
Could you try with a usb hub to make sure we are not facing a power issue?

Mind you, power issues with a USB DAC is a fairly common issue, I experienced the same with Nanopiā€™s a few weeks ago.

The Chord Hugo and Chord Mojo has its own power supply. I dont think this is power issue. Yes both DAC is using USB to connect. Also tried to restart it after connect to it but still fail. I will run the command as per your instruction and update again. Thank you

1 Like

Also try this DEV version (no guarantee), it has a newer kernel which is supposed to have a number of improvements (maintained by Asus).

updates.volumio.org/tinkerboard/ ā€¦ rd.img.zip

No harm to give it a try. Thank you

Play back of DSD with the new kernel with my wadia dac is having problem. The sound is totally distorted. Try native and DOP is the same problem. The new improvement on the auto setup wizard is cool. The new interface is also good.
F77791C6-3210-4DA4-82E3-E3F4F00DDA6B.jpg

Issue with chord is resolve.

Has anyone got ant further with the un listed USB DAC, I am have the same problem. I am a real novice, it took me long enough to work out how to connect with SSH to find out if my DAC is recognisedā€¦ It is but its not in the list HELP PLEASE.

volumio@Volumio:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: OnBoard [TinkerAudio OnBoard], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: OnBoard [TinkerAudio OnBoard], device 1: USB Audio [USB Audio #1]
card 0: OnBoard [TinkerAudio OnBoard], device 2: USB Audio [USB Audio #2]
card 1: SpitfireHD [SpitfireHD], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
card 1: SpitfireHD [SpitfireHD], device 1: USB Audio [USB Audio #1]

Got a tinker board and installed the latest december software. Started it an went into settings and it saw my SMSL usb SANSKRIT PRO DAC and saved the settings. Later once it had seen all the tracks I went to play music. no sound! Scratched head, went through all the settings to finally find it was no longer finding my dac. After many efforts decided to reinstall volumio and start again. The same story again!!! Did this 3 times and no go. :confused:

Cannot understand how it finds the DAC then loses it. I have no probs with the same DAC on the pi. I thought that the software that works on the pi should also work on the tinker board. Why is this happening?

Thanks

Got the Tinkerboard s with current volumio and all works fine with improved sound on newer smsl m9

I tried the AroioDAC that was well reviewed in the Hamburg Sound Check thread, and it didnā€™t work with the Hifiberry DAC Plus setting on my Tinkerboard S. It worked fine on my rpi 4b, until the AroioDAC died.