Terra-Berry DAC2 Review

Hi

I burning my terraberry dac for more than 100 hours before doing an analysis, and I’m glad to do so or it would not have been fair. I do not understand the people (nobody in this forum) who do an analysis with the component just removed from the box and still cold.

I agree with the majority of opinions of @Jonners and @Mark_Jpn, to whom I have great appreciation, and thanks for their help. Thanks again guys.

The first impression with Terraberry is that I lacked high frequencies, the burning has given me those high and pleasant high frequencies, especially for balanced. Xlr connection has also given more silence and clarity, and of course gain, although it is possible that a little less body, precisely by adding that transparency. Because I have an unpleasant ground noise, I’m not sure if my unit is defective. By xlr connection no problem.

I agree that DSD is more complete, but any of the other two are also good, it is very interesting to have three different sound profiles: the ear is accustomed to what it hears, although it is excellent, it is good to change to perceive something different, and Above all, rediscover the best of configurations. If this is not enough, the possibility of changing the chip configuration by serial port allows changing filters and configurations. I have done tests with this and the result is that you can change the sound profile giving the system more or less sharp or bass, advancing or receding the scene, adjusting it to your personal tastes and your team. But if you are an undecided or sick of settings, better not touch anything.

In this thread https://volumio.org/forum/boss-piano-audiophonics-sabre-9028-terraberry-dac-t8033.html I do some comparative comments of this dac with others, I will not repeat them here. But it is when you compare at the same time with the rest of dacs that you realize how good this dac is, and you must do it as I have done, from “worse” to “better”, which requires having very listened to those dacs. If you do it backwards your ears have memory and can deceive you and not hear what is sounding, but your brain remembers how good you have heard before.

This dac is wonderful with headphones. It’s the first time I enjoy music with headphones, I do not use headphones because I love the scene and the depth, as well as deep and powerful bass. I have loved music for the first time with headphones with this dac, for the air that there is around instrument cads, the realistic timber and the good bass. If you have a good headset equipment you should have this dac. To have a reference to my previous best headphones equipment that I have not loved, but sold have been Sennheiser Hd800 with Sennheiser Hdv800 amplifier / dac, and the wonderful first generation sr007 Stax with an improved clone amplifier from KGSSHV. And I have sold not because they were bad, they are the best that can be bought, but because I did not enjoy the scene with headphones, now I do it with a much more modest headphone system.

It is very difficult to get what Terraberry dac 2 does, a compromise between musicality and detail, between high and low frequencies. The acclaimed Chord Hugo and TT, are very detailed dacs, but they can sound strident in some audio systems, then you compare them with a system like kali and piano 2.1, and you do not have that detail, but you have a musicality and a character analog that chord with a traditional source (a conventional computer or even a digipi) does not have. Because terraberry dac2 is the son of Chord Hugo and Allo Boss: there is a compromise and balance between detail and musicality, very difficult to achieve. I thought that the maximum exponent of that commitment was Allo Piano 2.1 mono dual (with kali) but Terraberry is much more detailed, much, and also more musical. It is also more expensive, but if your audio system and your ears know how to appreciate that difference, it’s worth that price difference.

With Volumio the Terraberry is not easy to use if your amplifier does not have a preamplifier stage, as it is my case. Controlling the hardware volume by ssh through the serial port is not pleasant.

Best regards

Thanks for your observations @jazz, very interesting. I haven’t heard the Hugo, but if the T-B compares favourably with such an expensive DAC it says a lot.
Software volume control is available for the T-B2 in Volumio so I don’t understand why you couldn’t use it. It works best if your system doesn’t have excessive gain. (It’s safer then too of course) Then the volume vontrol can be used, as you mention, without too much attenuation which would lose resolution.

you are right jonners, the problem has been that I had not selected volume control by software.

Regards

The comments by @Jazz got me interested in the TB DAC2, so I went to look at the Volumio Shop for it. I note that the additional info for the TB DAC2 shows it as 100kg, so I can see where the weighty sound comes from…

Chris M

That’s right. It must be denser than any known element. Reinforce your stand before it arrives! :open_mouth:

I was following Mark_jpn and assembled an USB detoxer (insane?) for my TerraBerry2… :wink:
I toke an “usb breakout board male dip” and soldered the capacitor and resistor. (0.01µF,100 Ω)

USB_detoxer.jpg

For separate power connect i found a 2x5V power supply (2,1A each) (Thel NT-25HQ-09)
thel-audioworld.de/module/NT … Q.htm#NT25
Maybe someone here does have experience with it?

Hi Judydudi!

Here did he get USB detoxer pcb? has been able to prove the result, I am very interested. Is it good just to isolate usb from rj45 or is it also good to isolate a usb from the others usb connectors?

Regarding their power supply he looks very interested, I am also interested in knowing feedback.

Best regards.

Hi Jazz,

i would think to put on every open usb port a terminator to reduce influences…
a pcb board ready soldered with the male usb connector is easy to get.
just google “usb breakout board male dip” and you find some for 1-3€ a pcs.
Example:
ebay.de/itm/5PCS-Male-USB-zu … 2061183120
ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-type-A-t … 2286918149
ebay.de/itm/USB-Adapter-an-D … 2319376194 (this is mine)
the resistor was 0,11€ each.
conrad.de/de/metallschicht- … 89756.html

and the capacitor 0,38€ each.
conrad.de/de/mkp-folienkond … 50565.html
(The pin distance of 7,5 mm here is optimal)

i ordered the psu now and let you know.

Ni.

Thank you very much Judydudi. Very attentive to your tests with power supply. I think I’ll buy the 4 Amp version without a trafo, in my experience it’s better to oversize anda best trafo.

Regards

you see here my case for the TerraBerry DAC 2 with two DC connectors and a beautiful sticker;-)

TerraBerryDAC2inCASE.jpg(It’s the HifiBerry case)

The case looks great! The mod seems simple enough as a weekend project. Thanks very much as I was wondering what kind of case would work with the Terra-berry DAC2 this morning. I ordered the DAC2 based on this thread (some very useful comments, by the way). I found it intriguing that it has the capability to convert PSM to DSD on the fly and deliver via DoP. The DAC2 arrived yesterday and it plugs-and-plays (just need to move my CPU heat sink off eighth of an inch). Without burning-in nor any mods, the DAC2 sounds quite promising right out of the gate. I’ve just ordered connectors, jumper caps and of course the case mentioned earlier in this thread. Can’t wait to pair it up with the Magni 3 and LCD-2 combo. Will report back.

John

The parts had arrived and the mod were straightforward. With a linear power supply to the DAC2, the noise floor is total silence to my ears. (The voltage regulator had already done a great job with a 5V 2.5A Linear PSU even before I separated the power supply to the DAC2.)

Question:
While it plays DSD 2.8MHz via DoP fine, I encounter errors when playing DSD 5.6MHz (and higher) via DoP (I have the two jumper caps on for SW1 and SW2 with green LED1 and LED2 on). When I turned Volumio settings to DSD Direct, 5.6MHz files play fine. Just wondered if the Volumio’s UI - DSD Direct vs. DoP setting matters now that I have SRC output set to DSD (with SW1 and SW2 set as ON)?

Thanks,

John

Ok, I heard back from Terratechnos. I was told that 2.8MHz DSD files via DoP (DoP frame clock: 176.4KHz) is the best that the DAC2 + RPi + Volumio combo can do due to the limit of the frame clock (192KHz) of the kernel (even though DAC2 is supposed to be able to process higher quality DSD files). I will have to look for something else with an Advanced kernel to pair with DAC2 for my double and quad DSD music files.

John

It’s just a thought but the Asus Tinkerboard comes to mind, mostly 'cos HiFiBerry now support their boards on it. That’d suggest that you should be able to interface the DAC2 without too much trouble…

Chris M

Hi,
i see there is a new Terra-Berry DAC2+
does anyone know the difference between Terra-Berry DAC2 and Terra-Berry DAC2+ ?
Thanks you.

The web page looks the same as for the DAC2. I think it might be just the name for the DAC2 board plus the RCA board.
On the other hand, the Volumio page calls it the DAC2+ board and lists the RCA board separately. It still weighs 100kg though :laughing:

The difference is just a different type of coupling capacitor, to minimize their vertical height.
Quoting from Yuichi-San:

And another change is that it will not be 100kg anymore, since we’ll fix the product page weight :smiley:

thanks, so i’m glad to have the heavy weight version :smiley:

Hi all,

I am annoyed by the pop noise created with Terra-berry DAC2+, when switching from Flac/Wav(PCM) file to DSD file, or from DSD to DSD, after speaking to the manufacturer, I reckon it would be improved on a software level, their idea is below,

"Whether adding a function to operate from the serial port exclusively for TBDAC 2+ depends on the idea of each distribution.

Pop noise in DSD playback should be avoided by issuing the mute command during SKIP / STOP operation of mpd. "

I would like to ask if any encounter this issue and do you have any setting that could help?

Would Mr. Michelangelo please help to amending/add a code to issue the mute command during SKIP / STOP operation of mpd?

Thank you very much.

Just wanted to report back to this thread on the situation above. Upon the installation of 2.389, the updated kernel seems to do the trick for 5.6 and 11.28 DSD files. I then upgraded to RPi 3B+ and everything is smooth like silk. The power supply seems to be critical. For double and quad files, I have to use 3A or above.

John