Streaming through Spotify Connect causes ALSA underruns

Full logs here: http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/GEqsCFU.html

I keep getting split second dropouts when streaming through Spotify Connect. This does not happen when streaming directly from my local NAS in FLAC or MP3.

I get this error: ALSA lib pcm.c:8424:(snd_pcm_recover) underrun occurred

I increased the buffer in the sound settings, but it doesn’t make a difference (and not sure it affects Spotify Connect anyway).

Running a Rpi4 rev 1.4 with a I2C DAC (RPi-DAC HiFi pcm1794a-codec-0).

Any tips for how to solve this?

Ok, so far it might be due to FusionDSP beta. I had it installed, but disabled. And then today I decided to just fully uninstall it and now I’m not having ALSA underruns with Spotify.

Disabling the plugin should be enough…

In disabled state it was causing problems, though. Only when fully uninstalled did it not.

Thanks for the report.

@balbuze can you verify that the alsa contribituion is removed if the plugin is disabled?

Ok, I will

Alsa contribution is well removed when plugin is disabled :+1:

I’m still having problems with volspotconnect and ALSA underruns. It happens regularly, and it ONLY happens with volspotconnect. It doesn’t happen with the regular Spotify plugin, or when streaming from my NAS.

I changed ALSA buffer settings and pulseaudio buffer settings as well, and I still get random ALSA underruns.

This is really frustrating, as I’ll be enjoying a song, and then a split second drop (underrun) and it takes me out of the flow and I’m done listening to music.

I don’t even have the dsp plugin installed at this point.

I have the exact same issue but it seems to be after a few hours of normal listening. The problem goes away if I reboot my PI completely but this isn’t a solution.

journalctl -f -o cat -u volspotconnect2.service
ALSA lib pcm.c:8424:(snd_pcm_recover) underrun occurred

same problem here.

I recently enabled FusionDSP with convolution filters, and ever since the ALSA underruns have stopped. Longest uninterrupted listening session so far has been over an hour. Not sure why it stopped, but I’m happy that it did as now I can finally fully enjoy my Volumio build.