Streaming metadata/album art from spotify through multiroom snapcast system

Volumio Information

Volumio Version: 2.861
Hardware: Raspberry Pi 3
DAC: IQAudio DAC+

I’ve gotten my system of snapcast clients playing nicely from my server, and now I’m wondering if it might be possible to stream metadata from the server device (song, artist, album art) to the clients that have a screen connected

Searching through the forums hasn’t really given me any information as to whether this would be possible or not so I would really appreciate any insight as to how it could be done, or even any recommendations on posts/writeups I could review to try and find a solution

My full network consists of a Raspi 4 serving as the Snap Server with a Raspi0+Pimoroni DAC, Raspi3B+IQAudio-DAC+ and Raspi2B-Headphones acting as my client devices. I have a display attached to the 3B, and the Zero’s pirate audio HAT also includes an attractive display so it would be really cool if I could configure these to show what’s being played

I use the Spotify Connect 2 plugin and stream to the SnapServer through that

If there’s a better section or place to post this please let me know!

Reading through the master SnapCast repository on github, I saw:

Due to PCM pipe implementation of input we cannot know track start/end, it’s all a long stream. So we cannot push metadata on start of track as we don’t know when that is.

If I interpret this correctly it sounds like SnapCast itself would have a harder time syncing meta data between devices, but I wonder if it would be possible to have the server push metadata (including artwork) to client devices allowing for more real time display of the current track