Spotify Plugin - which one?

Noob here, so please excuse the seemingly stupid question.

I have Volumio 2.619 on RPI, and I a Spotify premium account that I want to play through it. Now since there are 2 plugins (Connect2 and the other one by the Volumio team), which one should I use? The latter one lets me put in my credentials, and logs in fine. However, I can play only one song. Selecting anything else just keeps on playing the first song over and over.

The Connect2 plugin does not work at all, i.e. I cannot see any search results.

Never mind, I got the first one working with help from how-get-the-spotify-plugin-working-t12368.html

Spotify Connect lets you control playback from any Spotify connect - spotify.com/connect/
Which is why you didn’t get any results when searching directly from Volumio.

Are both plugins required in order to use RPi with Spotify Connect control running on another device?

No, Connect allows you to (ahem :smiley: ) connect from other devices, while the other plugin lets you control things directly from the WebUI

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: [PLUGIN] Volspotconnect2 - SpotifyConnect for Volumio2

I realise this is much later, but not sure I have understood your answer and have the same questions as the OP.

you need the Volumio team plugin always to play and it includes the ability to control things from the WebUI?

You can then optionally install the connect plugin to control from another device? But why wouldn’t using the spotify app do that? Or the Volumio app?

Sorry if being dense, just couldn’t find any documentation anywhere…

Spotify Connect – Selection of tracks, playlists etc is done from external Spotify clients. You have very simple controls (pause/volume/next/prev) via Volumio’s webUI.

Spotify (spop) – Selection of tracks, playlists etc is done directly from Volumio’s UI. You can’t control anything from an external client.

EDIT: Both are independent and standalone :slight_smile:

Thanks - fast reply!
So If creating a playlist on the webui, and then wanting to control with spotify app on phone later, would have to switch between the two? Or just not possible? Maybe I should try it and see :thinking:

I don’t know if you can create Spotify specific playlists via the Volumio WebUI (I could be wrong). If you can make a playlist that syncs with Spotify’s servers, then you can access them from other clients.

Install both - they give you the option to either start playback from the WebUI, or from an external client.

Right, I think I got this.
The spotify plugin lets you connect to an browser your spotify account. Nearly everything is there. Some of the dynamic lists from the homepage are not (which I would expect) and there’s no “My Artists” section. And there’s a but that I will post a video of elsewhere, however generally very impressed. But that all acts completely standalone, you can play on the volumio device you’re controlling.

The connect plugin allowed me to control what’s playing from any spotify device, and to play it on any one device. So my phone could be the control and play it on Pi, then on phone to BT, then on computer. Then when at computer, I could control the list from there, and then play it on main stereo… all very nice (not multi-room, but assume the Volumio pro version would enable that on all volumio devices at least)

However, today the PC could see the player and phone, and the phone could only see the PC, but once I connected PC to player, the “spotify connect enabled” message appeared, and I could control everywhere from everywhere again.

I’m not sure it’s that useful if in order to “roam with spotify” I need to turn my PC on first to establish connection.