Source code talk and tinkering

From what I read you seem to have many ideas and you are doing many hardware platforms at the same time.

On the other hand, your published information seems to be too little for other people to get involved easily.

Wouldn’t it be more useful and less frustrating if you would focus on one platform for the time being and get your repos in shape? Let other people deal with the other platforms.

As it is today, Volumio is more Shareware than Open Source.

I really appreciate what you are doing and I am following this closely. Also donated some. But unless you want this to be Share or Tryware, I would suggest you focus and open up…

michelangelo, there’s a PM waiting for you. It’s still in my ‘outbox’ so I’m guessing you haven’t had time to read it yet.

If anyone’s interested, I wrote a tutorial on my blog for getting the current version of Volumio running on a cut-down debian distribution called PiBang. After going through the tutorial, you’ll have a solid dev base to tinker with the source and try some things out.

Link is here - http://typingoutloud.org/raspberry-pi-installing-volumio-pibang/ just trying to give something back to others who are interested in this project while michelangelo figures some things out. I’m sure he’ll give us all the openness that we’re craving for soon! :slight_smile:

Good point, I agree.
Anyway, I have to admit that porting it to other platforms is somehow funny to me… Documentation is boring, so I’m delaying this to be done… But it’s time to do that properly, and clear git and mirror it properly…
Later, back from work, I’ll start doing this (and finish porting to cubox… wanna have fun lol)!

I was asked why I made the tutorial and why I used pibang over Volumio of so here’s my answer…

I wanted to be able to use the latest version of Volumio from git with a regular distribution. This is unfortunately impossible at the moment, as the only way to use the webui is to install the entire “Volumio os” .

Obviously, there’s no install script either and using the Volumio ui is not as simple as just downloading it and copying. What I did was take a lightweight distribution (one that isn’t just raspbian with packages removed. Pibang server was designed from the ground up as an optimised server base for the pi) figure out which software was needed. nginx php5 etc etc and provide people a way to get Volumio running on their own distributions with the necessary software.

I really love the concept of Volumio. I think it’s amazing. But I’m disappointed with the lack of information available about the root Filesystem and why we should use Volumio os over any other distribution. Michelangelo wrote about a custom compiled mpd. Where’s the information? Where’s the install script for Volumio? If you want to get developers interested and contributing just give us more information!. If you don’t they’ll just convert to arch Linux and rune audio.

Ok, finished setting up a repo and uploading both RootFSs into Github, then set a documentation base

To answer to your questons:

1- Volumio is not a stripped down Raspbian. It was built with debian installer, and further lightned. The concept behind volumio is not just a webui and a webserver with mpd. There are lot of hunder the hood optimizations in the system, which are strictly related one to each other, so this is the point of having an image ready. Replicating all the things done to the system is quite long, but agree that a script would be helpful. I’m currently building the next version with the approach I used with the other platforms, multistrap to achieve a 300mb system, then replicating what I did with Volumio so far.
So, installing the WebUi is not running Volumio. Is just running the WebUi on another system, and in audio application what really makes the difference (SQ) is the system behind it. Plus lot of utilities working seamlessly in the background to get the interaction with the WebUi to actually work.

2- The lack of documentation is because my free time is limited, and since I got to set this all up by myself, I got to make things little by little. Know that can be frustrating for people wanting to contribute, Now it’s the time to share the knowledge and give everyone the opportunity to contribute.

So, since now the project is well launched and I agree the documentation and repos are really sucking now, here we move ! :wink:

Volumio DOCS (start to write them in free time… but now it is set up)
http://volumio.readthedocs.org/en/latest/
Based on Read The Docs, so everyone can contribute

Volumio File Repo (quite empty right now, requests are welcome! )
http://repo.volumio.org/

Github updated with Both Rootfs (PI Armv6 and others Armv7)
https://github.com/volumio?tab=repositories

Let me know how can we improve it,

Yes! Michelangelo, you Sir, are a legend :slight_smile: