Sound output in volumio

Hi,

I’m a noob to Volumio, only installed it yesterday.

I have a pie 4 2gb with a connected touchscreen. I really wanted to connect the sound output to my soundbar which is Bluetooth
It also has wi-fi as well as having an aux output.
The settings only show hdmi & earphones. It can’t play through hdmi because the touch screen doesn’t have sound. What I’m I missing here or is it simply not possible. I can’t find any plugins for it under settings. I’m using the web interface as I’m terrible with SSH.
I also can’t get it to mount my network neither but I’ll leave that for now.

I can’t find anything on the forum on this, I must be searching for the wrong thing, I can’t be the only one

Volumio 3 Issues?

Please see: Volumio 3 issues: hints and solutions before posting a new issue.
(You’ll need to cut and paste the link)

----------------------------- Delete here & above before posting below -----------------

1 Like

Volumio is intended to be an audio receiver, not a transmitter, therefore it doesn’t have a bluetooth output option only a bluetooth input (paid service).

It also has wi-fi as well as having an aux output.

Are you talking about your sound bar here? If so do you mean that it has an AUX input. If your sound bar does have an aux input then you can set Volumio to use the “Headphone” output and use your Pi 4’s headphone jack to drive the aux input on the sound bar. This won’t be as good as using a decent I2S DAC hat, but should be good enough to get you enjoying Volumio.

I also can’t get it to mount my network neither but I’ll leave that for now.

Do you mean mount a network share, or connect to your WIFI?

Thanks so much for getting back to me Tim. An audio receiver? Perhaps this isn’t what need then. I wasn’t recommend this for a Jukebox player that runs with a touch screen.

Yes, sorry, the soundbar has an aux.

I really wanted an MP3 player that could play songs over my network connected HDD and use my soundbar as the speaker.

Yes, under the web interface, when trying to map a network location, it sees my drive but it comes up with an error when I attempt to select it. Under “mount” there’s just a red X.

Best regards

An audio receiver? Perhaps this isn’t what need then. I wasn’t recommend this for a Jukebox player that runs with a touch screen.

It sounds like Volumio is a good fit for you, when I say “receiver” what I mean is that Volumio is primarily designed to be directly connected to an amplifier or speakers, not so much as a digital source for other software. As a jukebox it should work well.

Yes, sorry, the soundbar has an aux.

Great, if you connect the Pi 4 Headphone jack to that input it should work.

I really wanted an MP3 player that could play songs over my network connected HDD and use my soundbar as the speaker.

Yes, under the web interface, when trying to map a network location, it sees my drive but it comes up with an error when I attempt to select it. Under “mount” there’s just a red X.

It’s good that the drive shows up. Do you know if it’s using CIFS (also known as SAMBA) or NFS? Does it need a username/password?

I can recommend using the text entry option for connecting a drive using CIFS. You add a name that Volumio uses for the share, the host or IP address, and the path to the share. If you click on advanced it will let you add a username/password, and I can recommend trying vers=3.0 as an extra argument if your networked disk is vaguely modern (less than 10 years old).

Thanks Tim that’s great. I’ll hook up a aux lead then.

Yes the network uses cifs, well, I believe it is. I often browse my drive connected to my router via Windows computers using explorer. The drive is mapped under ‘my computer’. It is password and username protected.

Yes the network uses cifs, well, I believe it is. I often browse my drive connected to my router via Windows computers using explorer. The drive is mapped under ‘my computer’. It is password and username protected.

Ok, so the standard windows connection string is of the form:

\\<host>\<share>

That should give you the information you need for the second and third text boxes in the form. If you add the username, password and vers=3.0 in the advanced section then you should get a green tick and it will start indexing.

Oh okay, but I need to use the sudo CMD line for that you say?

How do I get into the command line because I installed the touchscreen plug-in do now it doesn’t show. Is it just a case of disabling the touchscreen plug-in?

I tried to connect via an app on my phone (SSH) but the connection is refused

no, go the volumio => sources => add new drive and fill in:

Thanks, I’ve been doing that apart from the option bit. I’ve been leaving that blank.

I’ll let you know how I get on

I think I’m just going to admit defeat and plug a usb stick in if I keep it.

Tried everything. Forward slashes, back slashes, sticking them in front of the IP address, sticking the IP address in the directory. Nothing worked. I even copy and pasted the share location path from Windows and pasted it into the location on volumio to ensure I wasn’t misspelling a directory name. Used \ & // at the beginning of the IP address & at the beginning of file location. Nothing worked, it won’t mount.

I might removed the touch screen too as it runs really bad with volumio. Slow, crashes too much. It’s much easier to use the web browser. :thinking:

I really don’t know why this network drive isn’t mounting. The error is so generic too.

It can’t be an easier. I even put the share on the root directory to save confusion on the path.

Put in an alias :white_check_mark:
Local IP address of the HDD :white_check_mark:
Path folder (root folder) :white_check_mark:
Username & password :white_check_mark:
Option ver=3.0 :white_check_mark:

Invalid argument refer to …

Mount :x:

:confused:

Oh done it. My folder was double names. I just put that in and left a space 🤷

Well at least it’s mounted

Had to go to vers=2.0 too

take a screenshot of the settings and save it :wink:

2 Likes

Already did it straight after I saw it work :rofl:

Even better, when you configured your system, to create a backup image from the SD. If something breaks, your back in 30 minutes. (win32diskimager)