Sound@home - Android App for multi rooms and other

Hi All,
holidays are ended :frowning: Itā€™s time to come back to work :frowning:ā€¦so also to come back to sound@home developmentā€¦
Please be patient since I will start to work on new release soonā€¦working planned on:

1. Fixing issues reported from users
  2. Improving UI adjusting better the support to different resolution and density screens
  3. Adding some little new features
    ā€¦
    after above check UI changes proposed by one of you (Mr. Harm)ā€¦and change completely UI with new more useful UI.

ā€¦be tuned.,

I just went to Google Play and it reports that the app isnā€™t compatible with my only android device (a Nook Simple), is that something that can be got around?

Alternatively I have a BlackBerry q5, and as I understand it, Android apps can be ported relatively simply. (I could imagine the playbook making a nice remote).

Thanks

Hi Jess,
I think the problem is due to the fact Nook Simple is more a book reader than a full Android device. This is maybe why Google play report itā€™s not supported.

About blackberry the porting is planned but before to plan any porting (Blackberry or Apple) we need to enanche and fix current version to have a stable version on Android before to port it to other platforms.

ā€¦please understand this approach since we need to concentrate effort in the right way to try to permit all of you to have good experience on using the app and love it based exactly on your feedbacksā€¦but porting will be doneā€¦

Have anice day!

Thanks for the quick reply. My Nook obviously is rooted, but I could install Skype on it despite the total lack of sound hardware, so Iā€™m not sure play knows what it can and canā€™t do. Does your program support old versions of Android?

As far as I understand the BlackBerry situation, there are two types of program one type is a simple Android port, which as far as I can tell involves running a program on the Android app and you get a BlackBerry App out (but they donā€™t run as efficiently as Native Apps) Presumably porting to be a Native App involves as much work as making an Apple App.

cheers

@digx
Fantastic app, multiroom support was one of the biggest reasons I was looking into Volumio.

Maybe this needs to be a tool tip in the app, as I was unable to automatically configure the app (Nexus 4 - Android 4.4.1)

Also 1 + Vote for @harmselā€™ s design.
Itā€™s clean, simple and easy, as they say less is more from a design perspective!
This could also mean you could have the room selection stacked on top of each other potentially this would allow 7 or so zones without scrolling.

vertical.jpg

Once again digx thanks very much for this app!

@Jess:
The minimum APIs supported is Android 2.3.3 APIs - sdk=10.

@atk:
thanks a lot for your feedback. If you want please rate the app also on GooglePlay I will appreciate a lot :wink:
About UI your feedback is very useful for us since we would really improve it as users would like to have.
Plan is there to improve App so you all will see new versionā€¦

@All:
If you want please vote or propose new UI for the App soon.

Thanks for your feedbacks to all of you!

It seems finally I found the issue why on some phone autoconfiguration is not working.
It happens only in case of wifi configuration and itā€™s due to some specific OS versions. Security type is not correctly reported.
Soon I will release an intermediate version to fix this issue plus some improvements.
I hope to finalize it for next weekend.

Be ready for it :slight_smile:

Hi All,
as promised I just published on GooglePlay the new version (v1.4beta) of the App.
This is mainly an intermediate version to fix an issue related to autoconfiguration; but in this version you will find :

• AutoConfiguration fix with also increased speed
  • Fixes of some crashes of the App
  • Support to folder on WebRadio (but you need to update the .php file with one attached here or wait new Volumio release)
  • Database management with ā€œone clickā€ --> Add and ā€œlong clickā€ --> Add and play
  • Scrolling of long names in teh Database and Playlist section
  • New mixer setting moved to menu

I want to thanks all of you who gave me very useful feedback and issue reporting especially (Flavio and Will)

All other fixes will be available in a later version with also new UI :slight_smile:

Have a nice day!
webradio_add2.zip (1.09 KB)

Good work Diego! Committed the fix on github, youā€™ll find it in next release!

Hi,
I canā€™t get this working with my Nexus 7 tablet.
Raspberry connection is static lan.
After insert the name of the room and automatic configuration, nothing happens after an hour.

The app is customizing my network.conf with
nameserver 8.8.8.8 and my subnetmask with 0.0.0.0.

After canceling the job, my nas mount and database are broken.

Any suggestions,
Karsten

EDIT: Works on my Galaxy S1 - automatic configuration in seconds.
Must be a bug/prob with my Nexus 7 (Andoid 4.3.3).

EDIT II: After manually conf. it works on the Nexus 7 now !!!

But canā€™t recognize the artwork of the artists. What is the suggested name of the jpg file?
Tagged all my flacs allready with a cover with mp3tag.

Karsten
Very good work so farā€¦ .

Hi iorr,
Thanks for sharing this info. Itā€™s very strange,totally different behaviour .
I need to investigateā€¦which version of nexus7 you have? 2013?

Edit: could you please post your /etc/network/interfaces file when it was not working with nexus 7 automatic conf?

About artwork I think you mean cover of albumsā€¦it is take from internet ā€¦no local file is suggested if not already downloaded (on the phone/tablet that needs to be connected to internet via wifi).
Maybe he cannot find the coverā€¦could you please write me an example with name of singer and name of album you have in the mp3 tag?

Thanks for this info!

Hi digx,
Thanks for quick reply,

Itā€™s working now.
First configurated the Galaxy S1ā€¦the Nexus 7 did the config job within a second.

With first configurating the tablet the config file was kindaā€¦

Address 192.168.1.18
Netmask 0.0.0.0
Gateway 192.168.1.1
Nameserver 192.168.1.1
Nameserver 8.8.8.8

The Nexus is a 32 gig first series. OS is cyanogenmod 11.2 (android 4.4.2)

A short suggestion:
On the phone everything looks great. On the tablet - the left menu buttons are stretched - not so good.
The covers on a bigger screen must be resized. Looks like a thumbnail on a tablet.
Could I do this manually and how?

Covers: 16 horsepower - low estate
Tagging is good - no cover - strange.
But I think this is a minor problem - I will try another jpg and will report.

Karsten

Hi Iorr,
Thanks for the info posted.
Yes I know UI still need a lot of improvement, especially for tablets. I need to fin time to work also on this.
I think something goes wrong with cyanogen on getting correct netmask. I will try to at least make a workaround for this.

No jpg are used for coversā€¦directly got from internet.

Have a nice evening

Bye!

Hi digx.
Wonderfull app in my phone but as you know not so beautiful on a tab (sony xperia S) .
On this tab i canā€™t use menu button (on the bottom right).

Do you think you can include covers from local webserver, as in mpdroid ?

Hi manmax,
Thanks for your feedback.
Yes I know I need to improve UI and I will do as soon as I find some time :slight_smile:, especially for tablets.
About menu, itā€™s strange. Do you mean itā€™s not working on Tablet but it is ok on phone?

Yes I can also implement covers from local webserver but currently it will be not one of priority. I need to fix a bug for covers as it is now before :wink: and I want to fix UI as first priority.

Hope to give you new update soon.
Could you please send me a screenshot of UI on your tablet at: digx@hotmail.it so I can understand how it appears now?

Have a nice evening!

Hi All,
while waiting for new UI reworking a new version is under deployment with following improvement:

• some crash fixes
  • Playlist Cue improvement: go to current playing song with higlighting
  • Playlist Cue improvement: one option in the related menu to clear playlist cue in one shot
  • Playlist Cue improvement: New oprtion to create playlist file from current cue
  • Playlist Cue improvement: New option to browse playlist files and add, add_replace, add_replace_play, remove or option to clear all the files in one shot
  • WEBRadio improvement: fixing some folder management issue

Any additional suggestion please write me here

Stay tuned

Welcome back Diego!!! Iā€™ll update you soon, playing with pulse network sinkā€¦ :wink:

Hi guys. Seems like a lot of great work has been done on this project so well done on that. The one thing stopping me from switching to it is the lack of spotify support.
I was wondering how the multi room synching works and whether it could ever support spotify. From my understanding, spotify can only steam from a single source at a time so what implications does that have with the current multi room support?

Cheers. And good work again

Pete

hi

sound@home is really promising.
it really decide me to give a try to volumio.
Automatic detection didnā€™t work but manual works.

I have understood one canā€™t play same music in all room but before that it would be nice to
share playlist between rooms.

Nevertheless congrats for the apps

Hello,

I look at your soft and it seem very interesting.

I wonder if it is possible to add the android device with your soft as another audio source to make two room with one pi and to have the multiroom with one pi and so test your soft simplier.

Cu