Some speakers are personal enrichment vehicles.…

That’s the name I’ve given to corporate made speakers. Stockholders decide to make some money and they think speakers are a way to do that. They go about the business of putting parts in a box and then put the box in a big box store. They hire a marketing PHD to invent a cute sales line for the salesman to recite.

Corporations are in the game to enrich themselves as best they can and customers are a necessary inconvenience. I say this because I have bought well over 50 pairs of blown speakers at garage sales over the last 40 years so I can take them apart and see what went wrong. Usually, the spiffier the outside of the speaker, the cheaper the inside looks. As in real cheap. I take a forensic look at the crossover to see what is really going on and I can’t believe my eyes. Plenty of ’make money’ logic and no speaker theory logic at all. I got my electronics diploma from Brown Institute. I can’t imagine where they got theirs.

Just saying …
A xover does not need to be complicated to work with certain drive units. Some big companies have made a good speaker by fluke with cheap components. Sometimes you can be lucky with a basic design. There have have been excellent spkrs with single component xovers made by reputable spkr companies. The natural resonances and frequency decay of drive units can do most of the work. I’m not an engineer but have been in the hifi industry for a few years.
I won’t disagree that most non sprkr companies make some real crappy spkrs. Mind you, some reputable companies have made some over-engineered products that sound like shite, that it makes you wonder if anyone actually listened to them before marketing and selling or just relying on their reputation. I could go on rambling…