[Solved] WiFi on Cubox

If you manually edit, it won’t work. Configure it via WebUI, turn off cubox. Remove ethernet and boot. It will take more to boot than on ethernet. But this procedure should work. Let me know.

Hi Michelangelo,

you are right.
It works since i followed your advice. For people in the same situation as me, i would like to mention that the connection takes indeed much more time to be established via wifi (at least one or two minutes after boot) compared to ethernet (almost instantly after boot).
Let’s test internal wifi in the coming days to check its stability.

Thank you again for your time and support.

PS : i have finally decided to fix the cubox wifi IP address via my router, assigning a fixed IP address to the wifi internal adapter MAC address. No more manual edit of /etc/network/interfaces :wink: Having a fixed IP is important to me to allow using the Mobile apps on my Phones / Tablet.

Hi

I applied the new kernel using putty ssh and iwconfig now shows:

[code]/root$ iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11abg ESSID:off/any
Mode:Managed Access Point: Not-Associated
Retry long limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Encryption key:off
Power Management:on

[/code]

but when I try to add my ssid usig the webUI it still only shows as network cfg updated, but does not show my ssid, nor the ip address. If I reboot after this without ethernet no connection is made, and the ethernet connection is lost; so I have to re-write the image and reapply the new kernel to get back to this point.

Can you tell me if there is anything else I should/could be doing when I use the webUI, as the only option I am adding is the ssid name without security or password. The wireless access to router being controlled using mac address. Tho when I am trying to connect the cubox-i4pro even wireless access restrictions on the router are disabled.

I know the wireless works as as the android image supplied finds my network no problem, and connecting using an external wifi adapter works too.

Hi ianmr65,

based on my experience, the network setting screen can take a bit of time before showing the accurate network configuration. This is the case mainly after a reboot. If you go straight to this screen you may not find any info relative to the wireless connection. But if you refresh the screen a few times, you will see the IP address assigned by your router.

Otherwise you can try to add a WEP/WPA security on your wifi connection, just for the test and report back if it works.

Regards

esseki

Hi esseki.

Hi thanks, to test I set up WPA security as you suggested, and it found the network fine, and connected using Ethernet and Wireless showing two IPs in the webUI , and showing the Network card mac and Ethernet card mac in the router’s attached devices table, as well as the ssid in the webUi -

I then removed the ethernet cable and it connected using wireless only.

When I removed security from the network it only connected using Ethernet, but had the webUi still populated with the ssid but no IP showing.

I guess I will need to set up WPA security on the network for all my devices unless there is a workaround?

Hi ianmr65,

I have unfortunately no experience with Volumio and non protected wifi network. Away from home for a few days I cannot test the problem you are reporting.
I guess this is a question for Michelangelo, does the wifi edition tool in the web UI allow to join non protected wifi networks ?
If I may just a suggestion, protecting your wifi network just with a MAC address filter on your router is a weak way to proceed. MAC address is easy to spoof.

Regards

Hi Michelangelo,
thank you for your great work on volumio!
Your wifi-solution works for me!

I have changed player_wrk to write this interface config.

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto wlan0
allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet static
address 192.168.2.211
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.2.1
nameserver 192.168.2.1
wireless-power off
wpa-pairwise CCMP TKIP
wpa-group CCMP TKIP
wpa-proto RSN WPA
wpa-scan-ssid 1 # important if the router hides ssid!
wpa-ap-scan 1
wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK
wpa-ssid “*******”
wpa-psk “***********”

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.2.175
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.2.1
nameserver 192.168.2.1