[Solved] Volumio wont read files on USB disk

I have previously connected a usb disk with an ntfs partition to volumio, and got it to work, but this time it wont cooperate. Some things are a bit different though …

I bought one of those low-power 2.5" NAS disks, with the intention of moving the root partition from the SD card to the disk, and then also playing my music straight from disk instead of over a wifi network. Moving the root partition works perfectly, i followed the steps in this guide (im a linux beginner)

samhobbs.co.uk/2013/10/speed … lash-drive

So thing to note is that the disk is using a GPT partition table, but that shouldnt make any difference imo. I am however using an ext4 partition for my flac files (the volumio interface mentions only fat and ntfs). Still, i think ext4 partitions should work also?

The /dev/sda2 partition below is my flac partition. Maybe i should mention that the flac files are in a flac directory, not in the root of the disk, but that was also the case on the previous disk.

In /etc/mpd.conf, the music_directory is set to “/var/lib/mpd/music”

In that folder is a USB folder, which seems to be a link to the /mnt/usb folder (i can see my flac files if i “ls” into it)

So, in my opinion everything seems to be configured like it should? When i click “browse”, the usb folder does not show up, and i also get nothing in library.

Nevermind, problem found in /var/log/mpd/mpd.log :slight_smile:

Jul 17 12:55 : update: Failed to open directory /var/lib/mpd/music/USB: Permission denied

I remember something about a chmod command …

edit: aaaaaaaand it works! :slight_smile:

I must say i really prefer this no-wifi-usage setup!

I had a similar issue with Volumio not reading an external drive with a NTFS filesystem. Formated drive to FAT32 and everything works fine now.

Western Digital 2TB Passport
External, powered USB hub
Raspberry Pi 3
FX Audio DAC-X6