I’ve just bought the DAC in subject, an Audiophonics I-Sabre
audiophonics.fr/en/kits-modu … -8962.html
I own a Raspberry PI Rev1, that doesn’t have the handy I2S connector. So I’ve followed this topic
and soldered the wires on the resistor pads (Raspberry PI side) and on the pins (DAC side). I’ve double checked the connections and the soldering, and everything seems ok (continuity from resistor pads to DAC pins, no shorts between resistor pads, no shorts beween pins). Precisely, I’ve connected the I2S signals as stated in the above topic, while I’ve connected GND and 5V to the GPIO pins (pins 6 and 2). Also, as read here and there, I’ve connected the MCLK pin to ground (maaany doubts about this).
I’ve started the Raspberry PI and accessed the web interface to made some tests (rebooted after every driver set):
- I2S driver not activated: sound from RPI stereo connector, no sound from DAC (obviously…)
- Activated HiFiBerry I2S driver (looks like the one to use with sabre, given forum posts) : NO sound from RPI stereo connector, no sound from DAC
- Activated HiFiBerry+ I2S driver : sound from RPI stereo connector, no sound from DAC
- Activated RPi-DAC I2S driver : sound from RPI stereo connector, no sound from DAC
- Activated Generic I2S driver : sound from RPI stereo connector, no sound from DAC
So, no luck…
The result of test 2 in quite interesting; is the configuration I supposed will work, and even the normal output remains silent, instead.
Any hints about how to let it work?
Anyone had any experience with this DAC baord?
– EDIT –
I’ll summarize the hints that I got in this thread, if there is still some living beings interested in RPi Rev 1.
Note that I managed to use a different DAC with respect to the one in the title, while still based on es9023 IC.
The trick was to remove pull up/down resistors from DATA, BCK, LRCK nodes (see here https://volumio.org/forum/i2s-raspberry-rev1-256mb-ram-t470.html), that are R8/R10, R9/R7, R3/R5.
To use this DAC you have to select Hifiberry DAC drivers on Volumio web interface.