[Solved] Problem with MPDlcd in volumio

As the title says, I’m having a problem getting a LCD screen (hd44780) to show info from the MPD.

I followed the andypi.co.uk/?p=334 tutorial, with some changes, because my display is 20x4, but in essence everything is equal and LCDproc is already starting in the boot.

When I try to run mpdlcd directly, it gives an error:

socket.error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory (sorry for not writing everything)

very similar to this thread in the old raspyfi forum raspyfi.com/forum/tweaks-and … w-playing/ Andy even states that there is a problem with the logs and points to a tutorial (which is the one I’m trying).

Does anybody have a answer or suggestion? I really wanted a LCD to make a great volumio setup, but I am a bit of a noob around this.

Thank you

Please paste the entire log (or error). This is the only way for us to understand

Sorry, I’ll do it tomorrow, I was using the RPi connected to a monitor and I was lazy to write everything, basically because I became extremely frustrated and didn’t come up with any answers. I’ll write the log tomorrow with a clear head, but I am pretty sure that the error and log was equal or at least very similar to the one from the raspify.

Thank you

The complete log when I try to start mpdlcd with the command: mpdlcd is:

Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/local/bin/mpdlcd", line 10, in <module> cli.main(sys.argv) File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/mpdlcd/cli.py", line 472, in main 'logfile', 'loglevel', 'debug')) File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/mpdlcd/cli.py", line 367, in _setup_logging handler = logging_handlers.SysLogHandler(address, facility=syslog_facility) File "/usr/lib/python2.7/logging/handlers.py", line 760, in __init__ self._connect_unixsocket(address) File "/usr/lib/python2.7/logging/handlers.py", line 788, in _connect_unixsocket self.socket.connect(address) File "/usr/lib/python2.7/socket.py", line 224, in meth return getattr(self._sock,name)(*args) socket.error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

If somebody can help I would be most appreciated. Thank you

Maybe…

sudo mpdlcd --no-syslog &

Change on /etc/LCDd.conf :
DriverPath= ???
ConnectionType= ???
Port= ???
Device= ???

Thank you, I’ll try that later in the day.

It worked! million zillion thanks :smiley:

but now how do I add it to the boot? :sunglasses:

AndyPi write :

1. Run:
sudo update-rc.d LCDd defaults
  1. Edit:
sudo nano /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh
  1. Add the following line at the end of the file, on the line BEFORE the last colon:
su pi -c "mpdlcd --no-syslog &"
  1. Press Ctrl-X to exit, and press Y and Enter to save.
    …or
    download a working version from here:
    andypi.co.uk/downloads/bootmisc.sh

I just realized I’d put an extra space on the bootmisc.sh file. Everythings working perfectly now, so if someone wants or can, put a solved in the title.

Thank you for the help :sunglasses:

For all of those who mpdlcd fails, there’s a simple way to solve it.

As andy says in his post , the problem comes from using bootmisc , an almost obsolete procedure that has been surpassed first by rc.local , then by systemd . Honestly I was surprised to find in this distro. For me the solution to all problems is in daemonizing mpdlcd , being more comfortable starting and stopping , and giving root privileges, avoiding any problem with syslog or others.

Create the script.

sudo nano /etc/init.d/mpdlcd

Add this to the script.

#! /bin/sh
# /etc/init.d/shairport
#
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides:          mpdlcd
# Required-Start:    $remote_fs $syslog
# Required-Stop:     $remote_fs $syslog
# Default-Start:     2 3 4 5
# Default-Stop:      0 1 6
# Short-Description: Put a short description of the service here
# Description:       Put a long description of the service here
### END INIT INFO

case "$1" in
  start)
    /usr/local/bin/mpdlcd &
    ;;
  stop)
    killall mpdlcd
    ;;
  *)
    echo "Usage: /etc/init.d/mpdlcd {start|stop}"
    exit 1
    ;;
esac

exit 0
#[/code]

Make it executable for all users, and make it run at start up.

[code]sudo chmod a+x /etc/init.d/mpdlcd
sudo update-rc.d mpdlcd defaults

Reboot then hopefully your lcd with mpdlcd will be working.

source: acquisitionsyndrome.com/2014/08/ … ic-player/

i had to change a line in /etc/init.d/mpdlcd so that it starts on reboot:

case "$1" in start) /usr/local/bin/mpdlcd & ;; stop)

to

case "$1" in start) /usr/local/bin/mpdlcd --no-syslog & ;; stop)

now it works!!! thank you very much