[Solved] No wifi, if ETH disconnected.

Hello,

I’m a long user of this wonderfull piece of software you made (back in raspyfi…)

I just upgraded from 1.4Beta (to get compatibility with my TP30 DAC) to 1.51 to see if the database can support my collection.

As usual I install my sdcard from scratch, clean install is better. I boot flawlessly with Ethernet plugged, get ssh connexion thru Ethernet IP like a breeze then go to the WebUI to fill wifi settings.

My Edimax : Bus 001 Device 004: ID 7392:7811 Edimax Technology Co., Ltd EW-7811Un 802.11n Wireless Adapter [Realtek RTL8188CUS]

connect to my wifi like a breeze, as I checked connection with ssh on the wifi adress without any problem, eventough wifi strength is abnormally weak.

I setup my nas path without any problems, then the Volumio name (for airplay).

Then I rebooted my Rasp using WebUI and disconnect Ethernet cable, and problem arise : Impossible to get webui nor ssh thru Wifi IP adress.

The only way to get response thru wifi is to plug in the ethernet cable when booting the Rapsberry, or when it booted only with wifi. :open_mouth:

I have to say I’m stuck here and I don’t really understand the problem.

I upded Raspberry : sudo rpi-update, as my firmware isn’t up to date, but I’m not sure it’s the problem. (3.12.26+ to 3.12.34+)

Linux Douche 3.12.26+ #702 PREEMPT Wed Aug 6 17:43:49 BST 2014 armv6l GNU/Linux root@Douche:~# sudo rpi-update *** Raspberry Pi firmware updater by Hexxeh, enhanced by AndrewS and Dom *** Performing self-update % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed 100 7811 100 7811 0 0 20232 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 24409 *** Relaunching after update *** Raspberry Pi firmware updater by Hexxeh, enhanced by AndrewS and Dom *** Downloading specific firmware revision (this will take a few minutes) % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed 100 168 0 168 0 0 337 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 443 100 23.0M 100 23.0M 0 0 122k 0 0:03:12 0:03:12 --:--:-- 76551 *** Updating firmware *** Updating kernel modules *** depmod 3.12.34+ *** Updating VideoCore libraries

After the successfull update,

I rebooted, --> Fail on wifi even with ETH plugged, I noticed wifi dongle light is OFF.

Searching… I set the wifi parameter again (they vanished :open_mouth: )…

Connection thru wifi works. (ETH always plugged)

Reboot, without ETH… FAILED again… even if wifi dongle is blinking.

Note that I tried to connect thru an ipad that is connected to the very same wifi network.

Hotplugging doesn’t solve the problem.

Hard rebooting the rasp without ETH plugged : wifi not working.

Hard rebooting the rasp with ETH plugged : wifi working :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Your ideas and help are very welcome.

After a long fight night, I succeeded making it working, but I don’t know how.

Once disconnected the ETH before rebooting the Raps and the wifi worked alone…

Strange…

Now library is updating… but On wifi I fear It’ll take ages… (130k songs)

can you post your content of: /etc/network/interfaces

Here it is ;

root@Douche:/etc/network# cat interfaces
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wireless-power off
wpa-ssid XXXXXXXX
wpa-psk XXXXXXXXX

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
root@Douche:/etc/network#

Notes :
Douche, means shower in Feench (no offense here)
I removed ssid and password :wink:
I’ve lost volumio.local acess, only direct IP@ works.
Thanks for your support.