[Solved] Large Gaps in playback

Let me start by saying that I don’t think this is a Volumio problem, I think the problem is elsewhere but how to track it down. Volumio 1.51/PiB+/IQaudio and Volumio 1.41/PiB/HifiberryDAC. The latter I have had for a while.

Both use wired connections and the music is on a NetGear ReadyNAS.

Recently, I start getting gaps of several seconds in playback. This may occur two or three times in a song. I suspected network problems but it occurs when it is the only device active on the network. Or is it the ReadyNAS, but I can’t see anything wrong with that.

I’m looking for help in tracking down the source of this problem.

I think I’ve proved this problem isn’t network related. I’ve connected a new switch in (still going through a NetGear Broadboand router to get to internet and get DHCP though) to connect the storage and the Pis. That didn’t get rid of the problem.

I thought I might be on to something looking at the performance settings on the NetGear NAS when I found the ‘optimise for MAC’ was a CIFS/SMB optimisation. At first I thought that had worked but coming back to it, no, playing a ripped CD which used to play perfectly well now pauses two or three times.

Switching from CIFS/SMB to NFS filesystems (on the NAS box and on Volumio) appears to have cured this problem.