[Solved] IQAudio Pi-Dac

Cases - I should have an update real soon now. Will be putting it on Tindie along with the Pi-DAC.

G

Hi,
I just receive my Pi-Dac.
I soldered the P5 connector. Downloaded the Volumio 1.3 img.
Activate the PI-DAC in the parameter and…
It work! It sound very good!

Volumio is a very nice project… Good work!

What about the sound? I can not change it in the playback page.
DId you know how to fix that?

Thanks

Max

Hi Speedmax, sorry for not replying sooner - I had missed your question.

Details for volume support is documented on the Pi-DAC user documentation available from the www.IQaudIO.com web site.

I hope this fixes your issue.

We’re waiting on Michelangelo releasing an update.

Very best regards,

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

I have a bug after applying the fix above, I only get sound in the range from 80-100.

Other than that the IQaudIO DAC was super easy to set up in Volumio 1.4 Beta.
It seems really well made and it sounds great to me.

Another minor bug is that there is nowhere in setting on the web interface for volumio 1.4 beta that indicates if the i2s driver is activated or not.

The whole Volumio project is amazing.

Drew

Volume range is MPD linear / ALSA logarithmic issue - Michelangelo is aware of this I believe but not sure if the fix will be applied soon.

Yes it’s difficult to see which option has been set - got me too - again, Michelangelo has had this reported also.

I’m trying to get the rotary encoder software such that it works along side Volumio - this will eliminate the small range for some and give a physical volume control too.

Time (at the moment) is being taken up by the Pi-AMP which we received back on Tuesday :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Gordon

Your in every thread I find helping people, pretty impressive customer service.

Just wanted to say thanks, had my pi-dac for 2 weeks now. Really easy to solder took 2-3 minutes. Worked straight away and it sounded good from first fitting it but over about a week it just started sounding better & better (left it running 24/7 for a week with amp off).

Unbelievable sound for the money. My B&W 685’s like to be turned up for them to sound their best and i’ve always had trouble at higher volumes with noise with other solutions all of which are a lot more expensive. I was putting it down to my amping age and had been thinking about replacing it. With your dac sound is perfect, nothing wrong with the amp it would seem. I chicken out with the volume before the amp/speakers/dac start sounding anything but better the louder it goes.

Had a friend listen to it today who has a very high end hifi equipment & he couldn’t believe the quality or the price.

Do you have any plans to do any more with maybe higher end dac?

If you can make something sound as good/better than dac’s ive tried that cost 5-10x the price for £20, what could you do with one that cost £100? :smiley:

I shall be ordering more.

Thanks again!

Hi technocoma, thanks for the feedback.

due to the arrival of the Raspberry Pi B+ we’ll be re-focused a little next month but we have a long pipeline of things we want to achieve going forward.

Overall goal is great audio quality at low price.

Gordon@iqaudio.com

I’d say you were on the money then. Very happy with my DAC from you guys

Raspberry Pi B+ works with RPi-DAC and RPi-DAC-RCA! :smiley: :astonished:

Still wires (PCB change coming soon) and: it needs a KERNEL PATCH.
Without kernel patch (pinmux changed) - if you enable the modules in /etc/modules - your system will hang if I2S is used.

Happy RPi B+ DAC listening.

Best regards
Torsten

Hi there,
I just finished putting my Pi-DAC and Pi together. So far I’m very pleased with the quality, even though I didn’t connect it to a proper amp yet, only a Topping job. I have a question about volume control: reading an earlier post in this thread, there was a change required to /etc/mpd.conf to allow the volume control to work. However that post was for an earlier version of Volumio, I’m using 1.4, so is the change still necessary? I looked at the file and it currently looks like this

audio_output {

type 		"alsa"
		 name 		"Output"
		 device 	"hw:0,0"
		 mixer_control 	"DSP Program"
		 mixer_device 	"hw:0"
		 mixer_index 	"0"
		 dsd_usb 	"yes"
}

Many thanks,

Andrew

Hi,

I have bought Pi-Dac, attached it to Raspberry and installed Volumio v1.4 with DAC volume control fix described above. I plan to use it in car as a dedicated hi-fi player.
It works fine and sound is really good (though I was expecting some power supply noise from cheap power converters). In reality there is no noise (except one case with ground loop when Raspberry was attached via etherner cable to Wi-fi router).

I’ve got couple of questions though:

1. What is the Pi-DAC output level (in VRMS)? I’ve fed signal from it to external car processor and it’s input ADC got clipped when I set volume on the max in Pi-DAC. Other DAC with 2.1 VRMS ouput level sounds OK.
  2. What is the current situation with replaygain support in volumio+Pi-DAC? Has linear/log volume scale issue got resolved? If yes, what should I put into mpd.conf file?

Regards,
Andrey.

Small update:
I played with mpd.conf settings and seems like these common replaygain settings work fine (volume is adjusted similar to foobar):

replaygain "album" replaygain_preamp "5" #adjust to taste replaygain_limit "yes"

But my understanding is that by default, replay gain is applyed in software mixer and can potentially degrade 16-bit files quality.

Then I tryed to switch replaygain adjustment to DAC volume control in the mpd.conf:

audio_output { .... replay_gain_handler "mixer" }
With this setting I’ve got linear/log volume scale issue mentioned above.

So, looks like we’ll have to stick with software mixer for a while or not to use replaygain at all.
P.S. may be upconverting files to 24 bit (BTW, what is the best way?) and then using software mixer could be a viable option, but it does not follow that minimalistic sound intervention “Volumio concept”, does it? :wink:

Hi, Pi-DAC output is 2.1vrms at 0db.

We’ve allowed alsamixer to go to +4db (indicated 100% volume) so if you want to max out at 0db then it can be done in alsamixer.

Linear / logarithmic volume control is still not fixed. Some day I hope.

Note that if you go to 3.16 kernel the mixer control name has changed from “playback digital” to “PCM”

mixer_control shouldn’t be “DSP Program”

Best regards,

Gordon@iqaudio.com

I have an issue with the Pi-Dac, or should I say Volumio and the use of the Pi-Dac?

When setting up Volumio, I choose the drivers for IQAudio Pi-Dac. After selecting the driver I reboot the system according to its instructions.

On starting up the system, it plays an internet radio station I chose earlier. However, after about 15-30 seconds it stops and the connection with the web client is lost.

At least it tells me that my soldering was OK :smiley: The network and DAC lights are still on and the flickering netork light tells me there is still network connection, although it doesn’t show in my “network connections” in the Explorer.

Can anyone please tell me what went wrong?

Hi guys!

I’ve installed V1.3 and now it works! However, I’m still puzzled! What is wrong with the V1.4?

/Edit

After listening to internetradio for about 10 minutes the connection was broken and could not be re-established. :cry: :cry: :cry: It happened after I started the update of the database (if that helps…).

Last week I noticed with the XBMC board that these boards are very sensitive with regards to the power level. I noticed that a charger (similar to an USB Iphone charger) did not provide the board with enough power. Hooking it up to one of the USB-ports of the television solved all the issues at once. Amazing that an USB port of the television set is more stable than a charger. OK, I know: there is chargers and there is chargers. My point: these boards need a stable power supply!