[SOLVED] Failed update 2.224 -> 2.254

I am running Volumio on a desktop PC, system loads from HD.
Update to 2.224 worked.
Update to 2.254 results in dead system.

if a connect a monitor directly to the PC I se this message:

No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found!

How can I solve this situtation, my music files are on the same HD as the volumio system, I need to
get back to old system without losing my files, nearly 3Tb data.

I can’t help you directly but is it possible for you to backup yours files and reinstall a clean system?

Are you kidding, backup a dead system???

Hi,
I’m not sure this is because of booting from the HDD (I hope we did not miss something vital).
So, first trying to find out how to help you best, a couple of questions:

• which was the starting version?
  • how did you transfer the volumio system to the HDD and boot from it?
  • where you booting legacy bios or uefi?
  • how did you transfer the 3TB of music to the HDD
  • it still boots, could you create an empty file “ssh” into the first partition, reboot and try to ssh in?
  • if it does not boot, would you be able to boot from a usb disk (or some other rescue medium)?

In case you can boot, I would like you to issue blkid
Then try to list the contents of the following files (all in the first (FAT32) partition of the disk

syslinux.cfg syslinux.cfg.old efi/BOOT/grub.cfg efi/BOOT/grub.cfg.old

EDIT: In case you think, why all this?
I’m checking the option to reproduce your issue by doing exactly the same here on a test system, with the same versions.

This is what i can find

volumio@volumio:/boot$ less syslinux.cfg

DEFAULT volumio

LABEL volumio
SAY Legacy Boot Volumio Audiophile Music Player (default)
LINUX vmlinuz-3.18.25
APPEND ro imgpart=UUID=6c0d3184-7851-46c3-919b-ed4c1d379708 bootpart=UUID=CC23-EE0D imgfile=volumio_current.sqsh quiet splash plymouth.ignore-serial-consoles vt.global_cursor_default=0 loglevel=0
INITRD volumio.initrd

no

volumio@volumio:/boot/efi/BOOT$ ls -l
total 4568
-rw-rw-rw- 1 volumio root 2294784 Jun 14 19:06 BOOTIA32.EFI
-rw-rw-rw- 1 volumio root 2379776 Jun 14 19:05 BOOTX64.EFI

no “grub” files

regards
/Sören

Ok, strange that there are no grub files, could you still try to answer these, especially 1, 2 and 3
(but that could be because the update never finished)

• it still boots, could you create an empty file “ssh” into the first partition, reboot and try to ssh in?
  • if it does not boot, would you be able to boot from a usb disk (or some other rescue medium)?

Ok, as the update never finished, grub files are still in /grub, I would still like to see the contents (last 30 lines will do)
Can you confirm there are no “.old” files?

Ok, strange that there are no grub files, could you still try to answer these, especially 1, 2 and 3
(but that could be because the update never finished)

2.201 I think updated to 2.224 with GUI

According to guide in other thread

Do not understand question
    Copying form network, samba

I can boot if I have an USB stick attached with a 2.201 image on it (are grub files here?)

volumio@volumio:/boot/grub$ ls -l
total 8
-rw-rw-rw- 1 volumio root 4755 Jun 14 19:05 grub.cfg
volumio@volumio:/boot/grub$

volumio@volumio:/boot/grub$ less grub.cfg

DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE

It is automatically generated by grub-mkconfig using templates

from /etc/grub.d and settings from /etc/default/grub

BEGIN /etc/grub.d/00_header

if [ -s $prefix/grubenv ]; then
set have_grubenv=true
load_env
fi
if [ “${next_entry}” ] ; then
set default="${next_entry}"
set next_entry=
save_env next_entry
set boot_once=true
else
set default=“0”
fi

if [ x"${feature_menuentry_id}" = xy ]; then
menuentry_id_option="–id"
else
menuentry_id_option=""
fi

export menuentry_id_option

if [ “${prev_saved_entry}” ]; then
set saved_entry="${prev_saved_entry}"
save_env saved_entry
set prev_saved_entry=
save_env prev_saved_entry
set boot_once=true
fi

function savedefault {
if [ -z “${boot_once}” ]; then
saved_entry="${chosen}"
save_env saved_entry
fi
}
function load_video {
if [ x$feature_all_video_module = xy ]; then
insmod all_video
else
insmod efi_gop
insmod efi_uga
insmod ieee1275_fb
insmod vbe
insmod vga
insmod video_bochs
insmod video_cirrus
fi
}

if [ x$feature_default_font_path = xy ] ; then
font=unicode
else
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
grub.cfg

Sorry, you posted the first 30 lines of grub.cfg :slight_smile: not the last 30 I asked for, I need it to compare with the partition UUIDs in syslinux.cfg you correctly supplied.
Could you also give me the contents of /boot (ls -l)
No contents needed, just for me to know which files are there, it might give me a clue how far the update got.

-> Legacy boot/uefi boot: if the system starts with a Syslinux line, then it uses legacy (old BIOS) boot, which is OK.
It is just one of the 2 options, so which one is it?

With the info from above and knowing you started from 2.201, I should be able to do exactly the same.
Hopefully that fails too and I can fix the problem.

Unless there is a way to “repair” the contents of the boot partition, your system will be lost.
So don’t put too much hope in saving your data.
Anything else, like a forced factory-reset, will mean the data partition will get wiped out, including your music if it was placed there.

Ah, as for your post in the Vox Popoli section: your system will boot from usb and then use your hard disk.
This is normal behavior, as the 2nd and 3rd partition are located by the partition Identifier UUID.
Because you cloned to HDD, the USB Stick and HDD have the same partition identifiers (UUID).
The boot process looks for these and because your HDD probably has priority over USB (nothing to do with BIOS), it will find the hard disk partitions and use them.
A proper USB-to-HDD Disk cloner is still on the list, we just haven’t had the time yet.

As I understand it it “old boot” syslink.

here is grub.cfg

volumio@volumio:/boot/grub$ less grub.cfg
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 5f61c5d1-f8bc-4372-b08d-c38f2ffdecb2
else
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 5f61c5d1-f8bc-4372-b08d-c38f2ffdecb2
fi
font="/usr/share/grub/unicode.pf2"
fi

if loadfont $font ; then
set gfxmode=1024x768
load_video
insmod gfxterm
set locale_dir=$prefix/locale
set lang=en_US
insmod gettext
fi
terminal_output gfxterm
if [ “${recordfail}” = 1 ] ; then
set timeout=-1
else
if [ x$feature_timeout_style = xy ] ; then
set timeout_style=menu
set timeout=0

Fallback normal timeout code in case the timeout_style feature is

unavailable.

e. else

END /etc/grub.d/40_custom ### set timeout=0

fi fi

BEGIN /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###### END /etc/grub.d/00_header

if [ -f ${config_directory}/custom.cfg ]; then
source ${config_directory}/custom.cfg### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ### set menu_color_normal=white/black set menu_color_highlight=green/dark-gray elif [ -z “${config_directory}” -a -f $prefix/custom.cfg ]; then### END
/etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###
source $prefix/custom.cfg; fi### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ### function gfxmode {

END /etc/grub.d/41_custom ### set gfxpayload="${1}"

}
set linux_gfx_mode=
export linux_gfx_mode
menuentry ‘Volumio Audiophile Music player GNU/Linux’ --class volumio --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option ‘gnulinux-simple-5f61c5d1-f8bc-4372-b08d-c38f2ffdecb2’ {
load_video
insmod gzio
if [ x$grub_platform = xxen ]; then insmod xzio; insmod lzopio; fi
insmod part_gpt
insmod fat
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root CC23-EE0D
else
fi
echo ‘Loading Linux 3.18.25 …’
linux /vmlinuz-3.18.25 imgpart=UUID=6c0d3184-7851-46c3-919b-ed4c1d379708 ro bootpart=UUID=CC23-EE0D imgfile=volumio_current.sqsh splash quiet plymouth.ignore-serial-consoles vt.global_cursor_default=0 loglevel=0
echo ‘Loading initial ramdisk …’
initrd /volumio.initrd
GNU nano 2.2.6 File: grub.cfg Modified

GNU nano 2.2.6 File: grub.cfg Modified linux /vmlinuz-3.18.25 imgpart=UUID=6c0d3184-7851-46c3-919b-ed4c1d379708 ro bootpart=UUID=CC23-EE0D imgfile=volumio_current.sqsh splash quiet plymouth.ignore-serial-consoles
vt.global_cursor_default=0 loglevel=0
font=unicode initrd /volumio.initrd else } insmod part_msdos} insmod ext2 if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then### END /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 5f61c5d1-f8bc-4372-b08d-c38f2ffdecb2 else### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ###
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 5f61c5d1-f8bc-4372-b08d-c38f2ffdecb2### END /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ### fi
font="/usr/share/grub/unicode.pf2"### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ### fi### END /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###

BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_uefi-firmware ### END /etc/grub.d/30_uefi-firmware

if loadfont $font ; then
set gfxmode=1024x768### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###
load_video# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries. Simply type the
insmod gfxterm# menu entries you want to add after this comment. Be careful not to change
set locale_dir=$prefix/locale# the ‘exec tail’ line above.
set lang=en_US### END /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###
insmod gettext fi### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/41_custom ### if [ -f ${config_directory}/custom.cfg ]; then terminal_output gfxterm source ${config_directory}/custom.cfg elif [ -z “${config_directory}” -a -f $prefix/custom.cfg ]; then
if [ “${recordfail}” = 1 ] ; then source $prefix/custom.cfg; fi
set timeout=-1### END /etc/grub.d/41_custom ### else
if [ x$feature_timeout_style = xy ] ; then
set timeout_style=menu
set timeout=0

Fallback normal timeout code in case the timeout_style feature is unavailable.

e. else

END /etc/grub.d/40_custom ### set timeout=0

fi fi

BEGIN /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###### END /etc/grub.d/00_header

if [ -f ${config_directory}/custom.cfg ]; then
source ${config_directory}/custom.cfg### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ### set menu_color_normal=white/black set menu_color_highlight=green/dark-gray elif [ -z “${config_directory}” -a -f $prefix/custom.cfg ]; then### END
/etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###
source $prefix/custom.cfg; fi### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ### function gfxmode {

END /etc/grub.d/41_custom ### set gfxpayload="${1}"

}
set linux_gfx_mode= export linux_gfx_mode menuentry ‘Volumio Audiophile Music player GNU/Linux’ --class volumio --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option ‘gnulinux-simple-5f61c5d1-f8bc-4372-b08d-c38f2ffdecb2’
{
load_video
insmod gzio
if [ x$grub_platform = xxen ]; then insmod xzio; insmod lzopio; fi
insmod part_gpt
insmod fat
else
fi
echo ‘Loading Linux 3.18.25 …’
linux /vmlinuz-3.18.25 imgpart=UUID=6c0d3184-7851-46c3-919b-ed4c1d379708 ro bootpart=UUID=CC23-EE0D imgfile=volumio_current.sqsh splash quiet plymouth.ignore-serial-consoles vt.global_cursor_default=0 loglevel=0
initrd /volumio.initrd

Of course, only your personal files as music!
The objective of completly reinstall the system is precisely to have a clean system…

Still I do not understand what you mean, I do not need your comments if you can´t help me get the boot to work ok!!!

Sometimes it’s really esasier and faster to format and reinstall a clean system file rather than to try to fix the system…
Particularly if you have all your music files on a separate aprtition or better, on a NAS!
But you can do as you want…the problem would already be solved.
I hope you’ll find the solution quickly.

please give me a guide how to format and install a system on my HD without destroying the musicfiles, according to
to yiou it is simple!!

@kkwete/sören, there is no recovery without loosing data, simple as that.
We are trying to find the source of a problem, not a solution to fix it (there is probably none).
So please, let us stay on-topic.

@sören, I think this completes the info I need, thank you very much for taking the time.
It might take a few days, but I will post any progress here.

– Gé –

Thanks, but a simple question, I can boot with USB stick and everything works, I can live with that.
But, cant´t I just copy some file(s) from the stick to HD boot sector??

for some reason your hdd does not want to boot, I do not know whether it is because of corrupted boot sectors (no idea why that would happen) or the boot partition has data in it that stops it from booting properly.
So you could try to copy the contents of your USB’s boot partition to the HDD’s, but there is absolutely no guarantee that it will work.
If the boot sectors are really nuked then this won’t make any difference.

Again, I’m trying to find the cause first and currently have no idea if there is a recovery as a bonus.

I stay put,

with stick I can boot and listen to my music, I have backups (several) but nearly 5 TB of data takes a while to
reinstall on the harddrives.

If we could solve this thing I would be very happy!

Ok, I’m trying to.
Hope to have time the next few days, I already freed a nuc for it, working on it but no promises :slight_smile:

Did you try your HDD in a PC to see?All partitions are correctly detected?
Is it possible for you only to backup music files on an other HDD/usb stick?
I know, 5Tb data is long to restore, but it will safe.