SOLVED: Albums page won't load

Hi all.

Using Volumio 2.713 on a Pi4B with Pi2AES hat. I’ve set the audio output to Allo Digione and it works just fine. I’ve also got attached an external 1TB SSD with at this point about 70 albums on it and 325 tracks

I’m having a problem loading the “Albums” page from Chrome on Windows 10 (and just now tested Microsoft Edge with the same problem). When I click on the link in the left side menu, whatever music is playing stops, though the timer keeps running and the pause button remains active. At the top of the page, there is a progress bar that runs almost completely across the page over a few seconds, but it stops short of going completely across the page. I never see the Albums list. Artists and Genres load fine.

I’ve tried rescanning and updating from the sources page, but the problem remains. I’d prefer not to reset everything because I had a hard time getting the audio output set up with “None” as a mixer type, and I kind of just clicked things until it worked. But if I have to, I will and hopefully someone can shed some light on that problem as well.

I should also add that I have had this issue with the three versions of Volumio I’ve had on the system since building it out last week, not just 2.7.13

Hoping someone can help me out.

No one has any ideas about this one?

So listing by Artist works?
I’m wondering if it’s a file or folder that is somehow tripping up the index creation or display?
I had some odd issues when I started using the Album, and Artist listings instead of just going the Music Library and drilling down.

My issues were with the tags and occasionally album art or file names.
I was fixing things by hand, one file at a time, so tedious. Then I found MP3Tag which is a program that allows you to edit and standardise a whole folder full of files at a time. It made cleaning up the naming, tagging, and so on a much more pleasant task.

Artist and Genre work without any problem. Just Albums stalls. Would be great if there was a log somewhere I could poke around in, maybe I could figure things out.

Thanks for the tip on MP3tag. I’ve been ripping a bunch of CDs and getting mixed results from the online database I’ve been using.

There are log files

Also apparently there’s an MPD Player log that can be enabled by removing the # (comment) in, /etc/mpd.conf

Volumio MPD Configuration File

Files and directories

music_directory “/var/lib/mpd/music”
playlist_directory “/var/lib/mpd/playlists”
db_file “/var/lib/mpd/tag_cache”
#log_file “/var/log/mpd/mpd.log”
pid_file “/var/run/mpd/pid”

Also, you can see what’s happening in real time by using, sudo journalctl -f

I’ve solved this!

First, the external enclosure I was using for my SSD was defective. This was causing the drive to disconnect from USB intermittently. Once I fixed that (new enclosure) I was able to rip my CD collection to the SSD. But I was still having issues loading the albums page, and now also just loading the drive page from the musc library page. Did some digging and found this advice from Michaelangelo

For those on 2.713:
Just go to playback options and save them. The issue should disappeear.
Please let us know.

This fixed the failure to load pages for me!

BTW, was seeing this with 2.729, continuing from 2.713