[Solved] Again: NAS via SMB/CIFS and shares in general

I can mount the NAS with no problems. After the mpd update I can see a NAS-folder when I click on “Browse”. When I open this folder I can see the Name which I have entered at the mounting-process and then I can see the folders in the same order as ordered in my NAS. But when I open a folder with my music-files I can’t see any of my music-files.

I’m of the mind that I set the right permissions because when I use putty and open the same folder with the cd-command, I can see all the files they are in this folder.

Your tip with the mpd.conf is brilliant. The failure is always “no read permissions”. But I don’t know which setting is wrong in my NAS. For testing I use the user admin and this user has all permissions.

It works. It works :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I changed some permissions for the user and now it’s working.

But I have some clips in my music files. What setting I should change?

Thanks for your help dafart.

After several tests and reboots I still wasn’t able to see the folder in /mnt/NAS, autofs worked immediately, so I kept it. After the new version (or the first version that will bring enough improvements to convince me to reflash), I will come back to this thread and test the other (standard) method you suggest.

The standard ones in auto.nas, for example file permissions, cache, …

And also an option to mount the share as read-only, I don’t want a bug in this distro (possible!) to damage my NAS, even if I took precautions. See below.

Really? they mean rwxrwxrwx right? The user I use for login to the NAS is a user made exclusively for applications like this one (and for my WD TV Live) that has no permission to write anywhere, including new files, not only the existent ones.
So, if mpd tries to write, he gets blocked. So why should the files have fake 777 privileges?
My setup works fine also without forcing 777.

Neither is /mnt/auto.nas, it’s on /etc. I see the point, my worry is about SSH users, not Samba.
Private files should be private (especially if they contain passwords or configuration) and SSH should not be offered with standard credentials.
You may put a script on the webgui that, when someone accesses the webgui for the first time after boot, checks the pass of “pi” and “root” and, if they are standard, lets the user choose new ones. If the user doesn’t care, you change them to random ones, otherwise you set the chosen ones.
Results: few CPU cycles more once per reboot, but both experienced and novices will have a safe system against unwanted SSH logins (disabling SSH is also an option, it can be reenabled by connecting a real keyboard).
The user that cares about SSH will either provide his own paswords or write down the provided random ones (15 chars, with symbols too), the user that doesn’t care will just forget about SSH (as he would anyway).

Again, autofs is not installed in Volumio… For USB it relies on usbmount, which has its conf file in /etc/usbmount/usbmount.conf
[/quote]
Ok, I will disable it. Disabling it from the gui makes no sense, since the gui has no access control.

I did.

Next time I reflash I will keep track of all changes, but I think the first change you can implement on your side would be the script to scramble/reset standard passwords, because having a linux computer always on and completely open to root/user login with standard password (BTW: root login should be disabled, ALWAYS), is dangerous!wifis are not very safe and it’s common to give the wifi password to guests. Routers can usually isolate wifi clients belonging to guest wifi network (when available!), but this distro runs often cabled and not so many routers can isolate guests from cabled devices.

The clips in my music files only exist when I play flac files from my NAS. Mp3-files sound quiet good.

When I play flac files from an usb-stick the sound quality is also good.

What can I change in the settings that the flac files from the NAS sound good too?

Maybe a problem with the cache. Is the network fast enough? you use wifi? try cable ethernet.

I use cable ethernet. Which cache settings are good for flac files?

edit: I have determined something. Not all of the flac files produce clips. Only the flac files with a higher transfer rate then 800kbps.

Then there is a slowdown somewhere. What is the chain exactly? From source to R-Pi.

Hi
I also have problems mounting my remote library, I have tried all the solutions mentioned in this post without any results. some of you are using volumio on udoo quad?

My chain is:
Synology DS112 -------->TP-Link Gigabit Switch -------->D-Link Gigabit Switch ------>Raspberry Pi

I connect a Aureon Dual USB Soundcard to my Pi.

In the Volumio settings I change the audio buffer size to 1024 and the rsize and wsize at the NAS mounting settings also to 1024. With this settings it works better but not without clips.

The clips sound like a clicking noise or a creaking noise.

The chain seems fine. In this case, it is probably something software and someone more experienced with mpd should help.

@Krypton :

I tried some different setting for my NAS mount, and I found those settings to be better : 32768 read and 32768 write. Yes, I know, it’s really high, and against michelangelo recommendation, but it worked fine for me. The second thing is to set this 32k parameter on the NFS settings on the Synology too (can’t remeber were it’s, will post an image as soon, as I’m @ home).

I read somwhere that 32k for NFS parameter is usally one of the best for performance issue.

Let us know !

Elpy.

The 32k read/write parameter for NFS share on Synology is here :

Settings Panel > Win/Mac/NFS icon (first one) > NFS Service tab

Hello Elpy,
thanks for your answer.
I connect my Pi to the NAS with the CIFS-protocol. I don’t know how I can connect my NAS via NFS. It doesn’t work. Can you tell me which fields in Volumio I have to fill in?

Ok, I connected the NAS with NFS and use you parameters, but some clips are also at the playback.

arf… no idea left for me… sorry.

A workaround could be using HDMI audio out, or a I2C DAC.

Oh, wait ! I remember I add “udp” in advanced options too.

My whole “Mount flag” line is : nfsvers=3,ro,noatime,udp

Have a try

I think the soundcard overextends the Pi. With the onboard audio the sound is clip-free but the quality is not so good. My external soundcard is a aureon dual usb soundcard. Which one do you have? I think this soundcard is the problem.

Maybe. I use HDMI audio out at the moment. I know that ethernet port is share with USB, this could be the root of your issue.

I have a Terratec Aureon Dual @ home too, I will try it and report back.

Cheers

The first tip from petli in this thread was brilliant

fixes-for-common-usb-dac-problems-with-rpi-t328.html

“Pops and crackle in the sound can often be fixed by adding dwc_otg.fiq_split_enable=0 to /boot/cmdline.txt. Just add it to the line that doesn’t start with a # and reboot. Verify that the parameter took effect by looking for “dwc_otg: FIQ split fix disabled” in the kernel boot log.” quotation from petli

I added this in the cmdline.txt and all problems disappeared. :smiley:

I have been struggling for weeks trying to connect my router attached HDD, with no luck what so ever. Tried most if not all the suggestions on this forum - I am a total Linux novice, so this is hard. In desperation, I downloaded Rune Audio to try that… Same interface, and the first time I entered my path: //192.168.X.X/Servername/Music it connected seamlessly, and works flawlessly. Perhaps their method of connecting NAS could be investigated for future updates. I see they are also Italian, so some communication may be possible? I am really wanting to use Volumio, and have been following the development since early Raspyfi days. All the best for the project.