SOLVED! Adafruit i2s DAC reducing pops / crackle help needed

It was the one from here. Thought it was semi-official. I should read the fine print more closely…

Thanks again for your help. I look forward to trying out Volumio 3.

The beta is live now. It may be a slightly less polished experience, but it will have native support for your MAX98357A!

I’m still seeing this issue, on a fresh install of Volumio 3. Unfortunately the fix you described doesn’t work, whether due to my bad Linux skills or changes in the OS I don’t know.
Using a Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W, MAX98357 DAC, I still get a crackle at every track change.
When I try to implement the changes you describe ALSA seems to stop working, the service exits with an error [aplay: main:828: audio open error].
Any ideas?

Hi BAWE,
Ultimately it came down to making some hardware mods.
I went with option 1a that Timothyjward suggested above. You have to remove/desolder the 1M ohm resistor on the board (a little fiddly but doable with a soldering iron and a bit of patience) and added the 600k ohm resistors between GPIO4 and the SD pin on the MAX98357. It worked a great for me and haven’t had an issue since.
Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Thanks! Thought it could be done with a software fix going by the above, but apparently not. I’ll give the option you suggest a whirl.