Seriously, what is wrong with Volumio?

Volumio 3 Issues?

Please see: Volumio 3 issues: hints and solutions before posting a new issue.
(You’ll need to cut and paste the link)

----------------------------- Delete here & above before posting below -----------------

So I’ve messaged Volumio tech support 3 times with no answers. Why on a power down be it from me unplugging my Digione Signature Raspberry Pi, or when the power goes out, do I have to remove the SD card, erase it, reformat it, reload the software and put back the plugins? Every single time. This is pathetic. How can there exist a computer that can’t ever be turned off?

How are you shuting down?

• just pull the plug
  • sudo shutdown -h now

The SD card was never intended to host a OS, but was to be used as a file storage. Whenever power gets interrupted while the SD card is being accessed (read/write) , it might break thinigs down. Simply as there is no control on the dirty bit (indicates a file is being accessed)

If this happens after a proper shutdown, you might consider using a new SD

2 Likes

Thanks for responding. I didn’t power down intentionally. The power went out briefly during the current winter storm we’re experiencing, and now it can’t be found. If I do unplug it the same thing occurs. all I have on the card is Volumio flashed with Belena Etcher

1 Like

Please take a new SD card, flash it with Raspberry Pi Imager.
When shutting down, either use the function in the Volumio UI or through SSH with the command:
sudo shutdown -h now

Please give the rPi time to close down properly, about 60s. You can also view the green activity LED, till it stops flashing for 10 seconds.

To be honest I never experienced these issues with a proper shutdown on Volumio as the smart people, run almost everything from memory. When it did crash it was my own stupidity. (still blaming Volumio offcoarse… :slight_smile:)

1 Like

Are you saying I’m supposed to have two systems on the SD Card? Volumio and the imager? Sorry, I’m very new to the Pi. Lol, and I’m victim to my own stupidity more often than not, but this time it wasn’t me.

2 Likes

Nono,

Instead of burning it with BalenaEtcher (which seems to cause multiple issues lately) burn it with the program Raspberry Pi Imager.(or use win32diskimager, see link below)

No-one is blaming you, however a power outage will kill almost every SD. So if you have everything up and running again, create a backup of the SD (win32diskimager). So you can restore a fully configured image.

Thanks. I’ll try as you’ve suggested. But I’m only putting Volumio on the card?

1 Like

yep, only Volumio.
Or a glass of beer… but then it becomes difficult to put it in the rPi :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Oh becomes easier with beer lol. So what’s the Imager you mentioned?

1 Like

with the imager you flash the SD card. I prefer to work with Disk32Imager as it can also backup the card, when fully installed.
Please read this: Guide

1 Like

Awesome. Thanks for the info

1 Like

Sorry if our support team did not reply fast enough. Do you mind telling how you contacted them? So we can improve it.

I suggest 2 things:

• Make sure you use a very good quality SD Card
  • Does your power supply have lot of capacitance? We observed that some PSUs, when power is lost, they gradually decrease their voltage (instead of shutting down abruptly). This is very likely to corrupt the SD Card.

Let us know

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: How can I create a backup of the Volumio SD card using Win32DiskImager

I just downloaded the Pi Imager. What option do I choose for software when using volumio?

huh? Volumio is the software. What do you mean?

When you open up the Pi writer it asks for what software or image I want to use. I think I figured it out. Other image was an option at the bottom of the list.

Missed that this was the question, but you sorted it out.

1 Like

So I got it back up. I used Win32 as the Pi one didn’t work. It wrote two separate files. Anyway I want to make sure I did it properly:

1: Reformatted a 32GB drive

2: Wrote volumio to that drive using Win32

3: It took much longer to write than Belena did, however after the write it split the SD card up into multiple drives. Belena did this too. Not sure if that’s normal

4: I inserted the SD then plugged in the Allo Digione Signature side in first followed by the dirty side to power the Pi4.

5: Waited about a minute and Volumio-755 showed up in the wifi. I selected that and it brought me to the volumio setup

6: I selected DAC 12S from the playback menu and picked Digione, rebooted, went back in and de-selected the DAC, exited the playback menu, went back into the playback menu and selected digione signature. That’s the only way I can get it to show up by the way. After all that it’s now working.

Now how do I turn it off and back on properly without unplugging the power? This is where everything usually gets screwed up.

I went to the volumio site and used the support option

via volumios interface “Shutdown” and slect “Restart” or through ssh entering
sudo reboot

1 Like