Scapcast setup / how to playback

Hi Everyone,

to test out multiroom i started my first volumio scapcast setup yesterday with the two raspi 3 / 4 instances (+ hifiberry). Local playwork via smb share works like a charm, but i cannot get Snapcast work so far, i have some beginners questions for it.

i Setup one raspberry as snapcast server, the other is configured to snapcast client, all according https://github.com/Saiyato/volumio-snapcast-plugin.

now whenever i start music via the volumio webinterface on the server or client, its only played locally.

do i need a snapcast client to do multiroom or can i control multi-room playback via MPD or volumio webinterface directly? should it played automatically multiroom as soon as the snapcast server/client is configured, or do i need to configure anything else now? i do not have an android phone, do i need it to use the snapcast setup?

Thx in advance, really appreciate

Volumio Information

Volumio Version: Raspberry Pi Volumio-3.010-2020-08-21-pi (Buster)
Hardware: RasPi 3 / 4
DAC: Hifiberry+ pro

Hi,

There are some issues that have not yet been resolved for the plugin from the store. On GitHub more issues have been resolved but one remains (I have a fix ready, but not released); which is rights to write to /etc/asound.conf

If you chown /etc/ for Volumio you will get it to work. Just remember, from a security perspective this is a bad idea. :wink:

Having said that, I’m hoping to be able to release a new versions which should fix outstanding issues.

In reponse to your question; for multi room sync playback there’s only 1 player; the server. The server can serve to any number of clients, client being the Snapchat client. You can configure the client on the server (so it can serve itself) in addition to other players. A player is connected to 1 server and a server can serve multiple clients. Which means you will control a single instance of Volumio to serve multiple clients.

This addresses one other problem, the installation will “patch” player configs. I will release separate player and server plugins in the near future to solve this design problem.