Recommendation wanted (Pi 4 <-> DAC)

Hi @all,

I am pretty new here searching for a soundmachine fits to my demand.
I have a Raspberry Pi 4 here and want to connect to my DENON x4000 via Digital Coax.
Which is the best DAC if I want to use TIDAL MQA (Master Quality Authenticated) hearing music on my amplifierer?

regards, Dirk

I don’t think you can use the COAX for MQA. The Denon is form 2013 and has no MQA capabilities, neither has Volumio.
The best way is getting a USB DAC capable to Full encode/decode MQA. Like the iFi Audio ZEN DAC V2
Or drop Tidal and get Qobuz. Then you can use the Allo Digione and connect that to the Denon COAX input. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great! Thanks a lot for all these info “Wheaten”.
Now I can choose the best way.

I would also go for Qobuz. And I have a MQA capable DAC, and had Tidal for over a year…

1 Like

I have Cambridge Audio DacMagic 200m with full MQA decoder. It plays really well.

Except it won’t play DSD files as this is currently only supported on the x86 platform. This is because of a linux usb audio driver restriction on the other devices, for which Cambridge does not bother to supply a fix.
For x86 we could luckily fix it ourselves.

2 Likes

I keep forgeting that, as I use this system mainly for streaming, and another for my local files.

And it just ocurred to me that I’m waiting on a x86, so I’ll have dsd on both system. Nice!

Topping e50

Same here, I use a Pi4 with Volumio > USB > E50 (which also supports MQA, but do not bother: not worth it).

1 Like