Recommendation to Buy: HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro or ALLO Boss

How do you disable Bluetooth? I know only the switch in the UI to disable Wifi.

I added these lines in boot/config.txt:

#### Disable bluetooth and wifi #### dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt dtoverlay=pi3-disable-wifi

and through ssh I enter this command:

sudo /opt/vc/bin/tvservice -o

In a thread by @jazz I asked the following:

last evening I tested:
What do I have to prepare? ==> nothing - just plug the USB device to RasPis’s USB
What format for the HDD? ==> NTFS worked fine
Does Volumio detect the HDD “automatically”? ==> Yes - USB-stick or USB-HDD were mounted

Even a USB powered HDD worked. But I do not know what happens to the “quality” of supply voltage while feeding RasPi + HDD + Boss.

Type of HDD: Toshiba Canvio Basic 2,5" 3TB @ max current 900mA (P/N HDTB330EK3CA)
Tests say: Powerconsumption is low (idle: 0,9W = 180mA @ 5V; access: 2,9W = 580mA @ 5V))

Hi Ludo,

Thanks for the insights. Yeah, I have the zero ohm resistor (R14) removed. With a linear PSU, the same set up works with Ruan and even Volumio 1.5. I couldn’t figure out out how to make it to work with Volumio 2. Thus, I switched to 503HTA. I may try Allo later. But, for now, my 503HTA (DAC powered by the linear PSU and w/ wifi disabled), it works like a charm with Volumio 2.246.

John

Most strange; I have exactly a RPi3 and HFB Dac+ Pro (-R14 and with a PSU), and it’s predictably good at all Volumio versions. I did find that the PSU I’d butchered to plug into the DAC+ Pro had ignored the wire marking spec for the type of plug I’d cut off, and I was feeding +5V the wrong direction into the DAC. All I got was a regular ticking noise over the hifi. In desperation, I eventually tested the feed, found what I’d done and reversed it. The DAC+ Pro sprang back into life, even after having volts stuffed in the wrong way round (excellent workmanship from HFB).

Did a first short direct comparison Allo BOSS vs Burmester 937 CD player.

Music source: “Getz & Gilberto” - the famous orange CD by Verve.

• The 973 is a bit louder than the BOSS so I could not adopt to same loudness.
  • Bass is slighly more from BOSS.
  • Transparency is a bit better from 973.

I know, BOSS is not jet “burned in” … But I want to “watch” the progress.

Just wanted to report back that my HFB DAC+ Pro (-R14 and with independent PSU) is singing again. I updated to Volumio 2.295 and put a iFi iPower 5V 2.5A for the DAC+ Pro alone. It appears that my previous PSU may not have enough to push the DAC.