Reclocker (i2s ps jitter)

Hi Saiyato!
We have our own laser cutting machine and design team, so yes we can make closed cases.

Hi,
I ordered a Kali yesterday. I’m planning to use it on my streamer based on RPI2 and Audio Gd I2s output module.
The external dac is a PS Audio Directstream, feeded via I2s.
My streamer has a very good integrated linear PSU for the RPI2. Should I use it for both RPI and Kali, or only one of them is enough?

My dac is only masterclock. I will have some benefits using a better clock on the source?

Michelangelo mentioned that the Kali isn’t compatible with the HiFiBerry DAC+ at the moment; will there be an announcement re the appropriate driver when it’s fixed (as I’ll buy a Kali at that point) ?

thanks in advance,

Chris M

Be aware that Kali works if your DAC operates in slave mode (look at the product page), I don’t know if you were referring to that… If your DAC has already a good quality Mclock, probably you won’t hear many differences (that’s just a speculation, since the quality of the clock of your DAC is not known). I am really interested to know your thoughts when it arrives… Let me know them!.

Also I would feed directly the Kali with the linear PSU, from there the PI will be powered as well

Hi Chris,
I discussed with Allo about compatibility with Hifiberry DAC+ and IQ Audio. It turned out to be an hardware limitation, rather than a software one (altough I still think there is a driver issue in the middle as well). So they told me they are already studying on how to make it compatible… They referred to a Kali2 which will be released in the future, but I don’t know when…
If you’re curious to try it, I think it’s really worth to add 24 euros and get also the Piano DAC. IMHO this combo is superior than what you already have…

Truth to tell, I’d already started putting things into the basket until I hit the PSU question. I don’t see a UK adapter for the 5v PSU…

Chris M

You’re right, they don’t have UK PSU…
Option 1: use an adapter
Option 2: get iFi’s one

I’m thinking on other ideas… However I’ll ask allo to add UK psu option

What DAC model should I choose for Allo Piano DAC in VolumIO?

That’d be epic! :slight_smile: I have browsed the site abit and I too am interested in trying this solution. But the idea of having an open case doesn’t really appeal to me, I like to keep 'em as dust free as I can :unamused: Sooo… I have been browsing, but couldn’t find any case yet, but if you can make 'em I’m all ears :wink:

I’ve been playing around with SPDIF HAT soundcards and exploring the web regarding DAC’s for the Pi. So I came across the AUDIOPHONICS I-Sabre V3 DAC ES9023 TCXO and now the Kali/Piano combo. So where I was convinced I “needed” the Audiophonics DAC, I’m not so sure anymore…

Also, correct me if I’m wrong, the Kali can be placed between any DAC and rPi? (Apart from the known issue with the HifiBerry DAC+)

Because the Audiophonics DAC allows for easy hookup of an LCD (HD44780), which could come in handy at some point, I’m still kinda interested in trying that… But maybe I want too much in too little time :laughing:

You need to select RaspyPlayV3, but in the future you’ll find Allo Piano DAC option :wink:

here’s an idea…
design the case and win it!

rules:
we provide the design guidelines, you provide a drawing.
best voted design gets free KALI / PIANO…

THAT’S HOW YOU DO IT!!!

Come on designers!!

Hi,
I have a question on the boards power supply: If I get it right, the reclocker can also serve the Pi and the DAC with clean power.
Now I am wondering how this helps when there is more stuff attached to the Pi: Hard drive, display…

I am currently powering the Pi and the hard drive jointly with a USB hub. Plugging only the Pi to the Grid and the hard drive to the Pi does not work: When the disc starts turning, the Pi is down.

So using the reclockers power supply, I would still need to power the USB storage separately, right? And then I have all the ripples etc from my cheap other PSU back in the loop, right?
I guess the only solution would be to put the files on a NAS or to use an isolated USB connection between Pi and disc, correct? The latter, to my knowledge, comes at a price tag exceeding the one for the DAC.
Any suggestions?

Hi there,

its a tough one… hard to know.
I dont know the total power requirement of the set up…
KALI will provide 3Amps… if that can help.

will it be enough for your HD and rest?

Sorry i cant help more.

To power your external HDD I would suggest using a powered hub… Just because PI cannot provide enough power on USB ports. Alternatively you can use a Y USB cable, to get more power (from 2 USB ports instead of 1).
Something like that:
ebay.co.uk/itm/Double-2-USB- … 1892493005

However, this as OT, let’s focus on the KALI in this thread

It just arrived today from your shop :slight_smile:

Going to do some test with it on my two sound systems.
My first impression is better detail and sound stage.

Being able to directly power the dac and resperry Pi is a very nice addition.
I now bought the 5V from the same company then the reclocker.
Do you think there will be even more improvements if I get the Ifi iPower?

interesting question…
the jitter on the clock is about 3-4ps (pico seconds)… that is measured, so theoretical it si 1ps.
Not much room for improvement.
Better invest in something else.

regards
Andre

Would it be rational/possible to power a Pi/Kali/Piano combo from a power-bank? If you’ve got one that takes a charge in at one end and then feeds +5v (as per USB) out of the battery at the other, that would be as smooth as one could get, surely?

Chris M

Possible: sure
Rational: given that the Kali has good regulators on top, I really don’t know if there would be an audible difference.
I’m very intrigued by this PSU\Kali questions, think I might get an oscilloscope to measure ripple after Kali treatment…

Would love to hear your thoughts on this since you clearly have more knowledge in that field then me to give us an answer.

I encountered a small but annoying bug when using the reclocker with Volumio 2.
When ever I pause then it loops the last 1-2 seconds non stop.
Same happened to me when internet radio got stuck and then just a loop playing over and over again.

Is this an issue with Volumio or a hardware/driver issue?