Volumio is really something I have been looking for for years…
In spite of a long story as hifi/hiend addict, the project I have in mind is an UDOO based portable audio center
- with a good audio quality (but nothing special, as a first step I think the UDOO audio out is acceptable, in my current mood I am more interested in ease of use)
- headless, to be remotely controlled from any smartphone / tablet / pc
- not expensive (I will not use it with my main audio system)
- with a TB hard disk, to be able to take all my music with me
- capable of working both as a wireless client and the center of a wifi network (that is to implement AP mode, or at least an ad-hoc network)
I understand that we cannot expect Volumio to do everything each of us would like to, especially without paying anything in terms of audio quality (and possibly money too…), so I would like to be able to experiment with software first and hardware later on.
I have a couple of questions about this,
I have not been able to find anything UDOO related on Volumio github: which kernel do you use as a starting point?
The second question is even more specific: I could use Ubuntu kernel from UDOO team, but I initially tested UDOO with Ubuntu and the audio out quality was terrible (while the hdmi audio quality was definitely better, if not good): do you have any idea of the reason of this huge difference in quality with respect to Volumio? is a matter of driver, or just caused by the different kernel structure?
Thank you in advance