RasPi Display/touch PlugIn - some changes needed...

Thanks for the plug-in en the work you put into it.

It’s working perfectly [emoji16]

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nokia 6.1 met Tapatalk

michel8166, thanks a lot trying it out.

I am hoping for my pull request on github to be reviewed, too, and that the plugin will be downloadable from the plugin store…

Friends, possibly I made not everything as it is necessary. Did installation on clean volumio. Previously sudo apt-get update and install python. The plugin was installed, but the display does not react to touches. My RasberryPI display is connected to asus tinker board. In settings the plugin is activated. Help. Also excuse for my English.

I do know that the command sudo apt-get upgrade causes the system of errors with with sudo apt-get update I don’t know.
I think it would be best not to use the sudo apt-get update command but simply to update it via the volumio interface.

or a reboot of volumio also sometimes helps.

volumio.github.io/docs/FAQs/Upd … nance.html

maybe you can do something with it.

The plugin does not manipulate the touch funcionality so it should not be the culprit (hope so :wink: ).

Do you know what modules have to be loaded to run the original raspberry touch display on Tinker board? Please post the output of

lsmod

To rule out that apt-get update and/or installing python have been breaking touch I would also recommend to start with a fresh system without these extra actions.

[code]Module Size Used by

snd_usb_audio 126976 0
snd_hwdep 16384 1 snd_usb_audio
snd_usbmidi_lib 24576 1 snd_usb_audio
8723bs 1179648 0
snd_seg_midi 16384 0
snd_midi_event 16384 1 snd_seg_midi
snd_rawmidi 24576 2 snd_usbmidi_lib,snd_seg_midi
overlay 40960 1[/code]

Hm, to me it seems as if no touch driver is loaded. At the moment I have no access to my Rasberry based Volumio system, but if I remember right on the Raspberry a module called rpi-ft5406 gets loaded when the original Raspberry touch display is connected. Unfortunately I don’t know how the drivers are named and loaded when using a Tinker board.

Nonetheless could you please also post the output of

ls -al /proc/bus/input/devices
0 -r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jul 27 03: /proc/bus/input/devices

Thanks for the feedbeck. If the touch screen would have been correctly detected by the OS I think there should appear an input device in /proc/bus/input/devices.

The Plugin checks if a Raspberry touch screen is present by looking for the rpi_ft5406 module in /proc/modules. If this is missing the sections “screen brightness” and “screen orientation” will be hidden. Only sections “screen saver” and “show/hide mouse pointer” will be visible.

Since the rpi_ft5406 module seems not to be loaded, these would be the expected options on the plugin’s configuration page in your case, too. Is this correct or which sections do you see?

Also, can you acknowledge that Volumio’s UI is shown on the touch display?

Yes, the user interface Volumio is reflected after the OS installation and reboot. Without installation of a plugin. Everything is valid so. Sections “screen saver” and “show/hide mouse pointer”. Well and of course main thing: It is possible to introduce module rpi_ft5406 in my case and how?.. And again I ask to excuse for my English. It is work of the translator.

Ok, I had a look at the tinkerconfig script in Volumio’s github Build repository. In contast to the raspberryconfig script the tinkerconfig script calls a script install-kiosk.sh which already installs the needed packages for kiosk mode. Therefore you saw the Volumio UI even before installing the touch display plugin - on a Raspberry Pi you have to install the plugin to get the UI shown on a display at all.

Do you remember if the touch functionality has been working before you installed the plugin or was the touch functionality missing from the beginning (i.e. after first reboot)?

Your answer would not solve your problem but help to rule out that the plugin caused a loss of an initially working touch functionality.

I would like to request another clarification: You earlier wrote

Does that mean that you were not able to apply a new setting of the timeout value for the screen saver? Did you get any error messages when trying to apply a new screen saver setting?

The touch functionality did not work all the time when Volumio OS was installed (neither to nor after installation of a plugin). Earlier Android and touch functionality OS was installed worked perfectly.
“And still it became clear impossible to adjust… timeout of the screen.” - here I allowed not accuracy in the description. My attempts were to change time of activity of the screen during reproduction by means of sudo nano /opt/volumiokiosk.sh

xset +dpms xset s blank xset dpms 0 0 30

It is necessary to add that no error messages existed

So we can put on record that the plugin did not influence (break) the touch functionality. Instead this is generally missing.

It is not the purpose of the plugin to enable touch. It is intended to make the kiosk mode available on Raspberry systems. So for now you would have to solve the problem of the missing touch functionality separately.

There is a module called tinker-ft5406 for TinkerOS android (see https://github.com/TinkerBoard/android-6.0.1_kernel/releases/tag/13.11.0.5) but I guess it does not exist in the Volumio image for the Tinker board.

Ok, and did you try to set the screen saver timeout from the config page of the plugin, too? If so, did that work?

Thanks for reporting back.

With full confidence I can tell all points in control of a plugin are active and work (a mouse and a timeout).

Yes, the thought of transfer of module called tinker-ft540 arose but how to make it?

But even if it will turn out to achieve management of a touchscreen whether I will be able to achieve brightness control and to adjust a color rendition?

Many thanks for confirming. These are the plugin’s configuration options remaining on non-raspberry systems.

Yes, that’s the question. Unfortunately I can’t help in that regard as I don’t have a Tinker board.

1 Like

If there would be a backlight device, setting brightness could be possible but would probably require some changes/additions to the plugin.

On Raspberry systems for backlight control there is a dedicated module called rpi_backlight and the backlight brightness can be accessed through “/sys/devices/platform/rpi_backlight/backlight/rpi_backlight/brightness”.

Maybe have a look if you already have a backlight device in a similar location. If you find the brightness file you can query the brightness value by cat /path/to/brightness

Dear gvolt. I am very grateful for support and attention to my problem. I will try to make something. And of course I will give the description to good results.
And I will have a request. Perhaps will also help with my case. "/sys/devices/platform "-a probable way for the tinker-ft540 module? Whether it is possible to receive to me your folders for comparison of operations? Suddenly I will manage to find the tinker-ft540 module.

Maybe additionally have a look at the Tinker Debian kernel repo (https://github.com/TinkerBoard/debian_kernel). Since release 2.0.8 backlight control should be supported. The repo also contains the source for the fb5406 module.

Regarding “folders for comparison”: Do you want to see the files and folders structure under /sys/devices/platform on a Raspberry?

Thanks for information! The structure Raspberry just for comparison, but perhaps is also not useful. But I should see to what place to place.

wget https://github.com/gvolt/volumio-touch_display-plugin/releases/download/v1.1.0/touch_display_1_1_0.zip

I look at it and I understand that the truth absolutely is near :wink: