Volumio on the Raspberry Pi Zero 2

Hi if your going to use any raspberry pi boot it up wired over Internet an adapter is available online once booted change in setting to wire pass word of home net work this should work. I have my volumio worked fine raspi zero w this way .
I used raspiaudio hat and small 5v amplifier so are both 5v and then use one solor rechargeable power bank so could pluge both into it it works fine.
Hope this helps you out

1 Like

Thanks @jimbo, this isn’t a problem relating to getting access to the network, it’s at the very first level of the Pi actually running at all. I don’t know what’s changed, but the Pi Zero 2 W has a similar processor to the Pi Zero W, but it’s different enough that the system doesn’t get to start up to any significant level. Volumio 3 is based upon a more recent version of the operating system that allows it to boot, and there are no problems getting wired or wireless access once it’s booted.

2 Likes

The Pi Zero 2/W need different hardware descriptors to boot…if these aren’t in /boot the kernel doesn’t know how configure the devices.

I think you’re right, but after adding these files to the boot folder, the board still doesn’t boot.
I suspect one of the other boot files needs to be modded so these extra dtb files are looked at.
Do you (or anyone else) know what needs to be changed?

Yeah, those files aren’t the only files that need to change…I mentioned them mostly for the purpose of identifying an install that “should” boot on the device. The raspberry pi firmware decides which dtb to pass to the kernel. So I you have the means, you should be able to update the pi firmware and kernel to get it to boot. It’s probably easier to backup anything important on the device and install the supported version.

1 Like

Thanks for your lead.
I’ve now got it booting.
I copied files from

*.dtb
*.dat
.elf
bootcode.bin
overlays folder
over the files in the boot folder.
I left all the other files untouched (
.img)

It now boots and I can have Volumio 2 on my zero 2.

Got Volumio 2 booting and running now, but my latest problem is the on-board wifi.
I don’t think the hardware is recognised by the OS.
It does work with a USB Wifi dongle!

I am using the latest Buster Beta on RPi0-2 without problems, everything works just out-of-the-box, including the onboard WiFi

The performance increase compared to the original RPi0 is impressive, as expected.

1 Like

What about snapcast?

I did’t try snapcast

are you using Volumio 2 with this ?

are you using Volumio 2 with this ?

No, this is Volumio 3.0 rc 1

// Volumio 3 RC1 - Open Beta Testing - #2 by volumio

As dvo mentioned, I am using Volumio 3.0

someone managed to run volumio 2 on rpi zero 2 with working wifi?

1 Like

Also trying to get Wifi working on the Pi Zero 2 on Volumio 2.
Volumio 3 is not an option, as it is missing some plugins I need.

Unfortunately we will not put more effort in Volumio2, as Volumio3 will be released very shortly.
What are the plugins you miss?

LastFM Scrobbler, and Snapcast.

I am aware of the MyVolumio multiroom functionality in Volumio 3, but unfortunately my wallet doesn’t really allow me to pay the subscription for that :grimacing:

Heya, I tried doing this but the wifi hotspot never show up for me.
Using a USB dongle too.
Did you overwrite files?

You may not have the same dongle as @kaybee61, not all dongles work

Hi,
I got the RPi to boot, connected using a wired LAN dongle and then got the USB wireless working.
But then found most of Volumio didn’t work.
I have given up on it at the moment.