Volumio on the Raspberry Pi Zero 2

yes,it is the onboard wifi, just the naked Zero 2.

1 Like

Just got the new Raspberry Pi Zero 2.
Has anyone got Volumio running on this?
Ive loaded volumio-2.917-2021-10-06-pi.img but it won’t boot.
The image will boot on an original Pi Zero, but when the SD card is put back in the Zero 2, nothing works.
I’ve tried 2 different SD cards, but no joy.
The latest Raspbian lite does boot on the Pi Zero 2.
Does anyone have any suggestions please?

1 Like

I’ve just posted on the same subject, I searched for similar posts, but couldn’t find anything when I first checked, and have spent the past hour or so confirming my problems, so sorry for the dupe. Anyway it looks like it’s a problem we share! I also got Raspbian Lite to boot. Hoping someone will come up with more insight into the reason why Volumio won’t!

1 Like

PI Zero 2 needs a few changes, it is work-in-progress. With Volumio 3 RC1 it should work.

1 Like

Thanks @tigger-gg and @dvo , a beta version 3 download works fine on the Pi Zero 2 (I used the latest 3.129 build).There is a definite improvement in responsiveness compared to the previous Pi Zero. Unfortunately, I can’t get the pirateaudio plugin to work with beta 3 (st7789 module seems not to work at all), does anyone have an idea what the would be needed to get Voumio 2 booting on a Zero 2?

A time machine :wink: It probably needs a kernel update for the patches for the Pi Zero2…

1 Like

3.129 worked for me too, but Id also like to have Volumio 2 working as I want compatibility with my other volumio boxes around the house
+

What exactly do you mean by compatibility? You can still control 2.xx instances from 3.xx and vice versa…

I’m using the snapcast plugin. Not quite sure of the compatibility in V3

Don’t forget Volumio 2 is going EOL soon.

Thats a shame, because V3 appears to be 64bit only, which will impact on my older Pi’s

what do you mean ?

1 Like

I think some of the early raspberry pi models are 32 bit.

Nope, the main difference b/w v2.xx and v3.xx is the underlying Debian operating system. The older one was based off Jessie, and the newer one is based on Buster. For the Pi, it is all 32bit :slight_smile:

Have a look at the opening post in Volumio 3 RC1 - Open Beta Testing for more details!

My mistake. I think I read “From now on, Volumio for PC will be built on 64 bit architecture only.” too quickly and took it as applying to the RPi.

out of interest, which dac did you use for the Zero 2 ?
and did you use a micro USB OTG ?
I’ve got one hanging around and was thinking about trying it out

I did a search as well and didn’t find this thread. Apologies.

I’ll download v3 and give it a shot.

I used a pimoroni pirate audio DAC Pirate Audio: Line-out for Raspberry Pi – Pimoroni
It connects to the Pi’s GPIO and is equivalent to a HiFiBerry DAC, with a nice little 240x240 colour display. I’ve never tried a USB DAC, but I think they tend to be pretty generic, and most should work out of the box

I’ve managed to get pirateaudio to work with beta 3 now, I’ll post in the pirateaudio plugin page what I did to make it work (downgrade the SRT7789 module from 0.0.4 to 0.0.3, and all is well)

this looks cool. I’ll head over to the plugin page , thx