raspberry pi with 2T flac database from samba server

Dear All,
I’m very much new to Volumio. Not that new to linux.
When I tried it first on the 2T database, I could not wait for the update, I left it for updating overnight. Once the update never finished, the other time it finished, but when I tried to browse, it hang up. The raspi web server did not responded any more (until reset).

Do you thing that the raspi can handle large databases ?

I thought it should, since with Volumio I will not browse between album pictures, different styles of music, just as in the folder structure.
Am I right? It would be another important question, because at first time I saw the project I thought I will be able to list up all albums songs in the order of artist, or in the order of album name, or browse between album pictures. Can you confirm that it is not something Volumio does?

Thanks a lot,

Gabor Jordan

I did tried again and watched during update what is loaded already. I found it stops at the very beginning, on a folder with quite a long name.

What logfiles should I check for error messages? Can I switch the update to verbose mode, so it makes messages on the console ?

Thanks,

JG

Without anly log, you can try to move this folder in a temporary place, and see if this help.

You, then, will know the source ofnyour problem.

Hello,
O.K. now I investigated further. As I removed the one with long folder name, now it stuck at another point. I will keep removing those.
On the other hand, it has a fair amount loaded into library already, but now I do not know how to put them in alphabet order at least. Is that possible ?
The other questions still stands : with Volumio I will not browse between album pictures, different styles of music, just as in the folder structure.
Am I right?

Thanks a lot,

Gabor Jordan

You are right that the web interface is fairly simple when it comes to browsing your music collection. However, you can use an MPD client such as GMPC (for Windows) and MPDroid (for Android - clients for MacOS and iOS also exist) that will give you all the options you can imagine for searching, sorting, downloading coverart and other metadata etc. :sunglasses:

gmpclient.org/

Edit: I can add that my albums in my Volumio web interface are sorted alphabetically, not sure why yours aren’t.

Hello,

Thanks for your reply!

As it fully finished the update, it is mostly in alphabetical. The strange thing now is that why the last about 20 folder is not in order. It starts with the numbers, than A - Z, than the last about 20 folder is not in order. Even after two re-update. Anyway, I try the remote programs, it is not good to browse the web interface.

JG

Do you know similar client for android?

Thanks,
JG

For Android I use MPDroid, it’s available for free through Google Play. There are a few others, but I have only tried that one (just got my RPi yesterday!)

If you prefer a more minimalistic Windows client you can try Ario. I have just tried these two myself, so i’m open for other suggestions!