Raspberry Pi music player with I2S out over HDMI

Check out this document:
i2s Connections
I don’t know if it helps with the specific Project setup, but there are some mappings there for i2S->RJ45

Hi,

I am using a Pi4 with a HAT purchased from Aliexpress which does i2s out via HDMI. The signal is sent through HDMI to a Denafrips Pontus 2. The sound is great. I am happy with it. The Pi is running Volumio but its used as a Roon endpoint. The only issue that i have is that no sound comes out when playing 44.1/16 files. All other higher resolution formats play without a hitch.

Any ideas?

Using an IanCanada I2S to HDMI board may provide what you are looking for:

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/dac-and-interfaces-for-raspberry-pi/ian-canada-hdmipi-transmitter-i2s-dsd-dop-to-hdmi-p-13982.html?search_query=ian%20canada&fast_search=fs

I am not sure if this is the answer you are looking for but there is some background explanation on 44.1khz versus RPI clock here:
The Raspberry Pi: Audio out through I2S | Dimdim’s Blog

However without this reclocker:
IAN CANADA FIFOPI Q2 ULTIMATE Reclocker Module FIFO PCM 32bit 768kHz DSD1024 DoP - Audiophonics
it does not establish audiophile grade music, they say…

And by the way this seems to me awfully cheap compared to COTS reclockers of the same level.

Does this mean it is a one board alternative to the combination of:
IAN CANADA HDMIpi Transmitter I2S / DSD / DoP to HDMI - Audiophonics
+
IAN CANADA FIFOPI Q2 ULTIMATE Reclocker Module FIFO PCM 32bit 768kHz DSD1024 DoP - Audiophonics

with an even better oscillator?

I am not so well understanding the details yet :slight_smile:

I have a question about MQA over I2S. I ordered the Khadas Tone2 Pro, for it’s MQA full decoding abilities.

Now when I would use Volumio with for example the P2EAS HAT I suspect this is the board I will then need to select for output in the Volumio settings. (or do I first need to make some config.txt changes? overlay something)

But then I suspect everything till 192Khz will be indeed recognized as MQA signal but everything above like 352.8Khz will probably not be recognized as MQA signal because it has been altered by the 192Khz boundaries of P2AES S/PDIF output, Am I right/wrong?

That Pi2 designs Pi2AES does have the I2S over HDMI interface already built-in, so that would deliver the signal. If it sounds better, worse, the same… no clue, I have not compared them. Only price-wise, the FIFO Q3+Oscillators+I2S would be more slightly more expensive than the Pi2.
No idea about MQA and reclocking, I do not use MQA.

2 Likes

The Khadas does not have HDMI input for I2S, only USB-C input for I2S signal. I do not think there is a cheap audiophile converter for this available. That is why I was thinking about S/DIF over Coax signal.

Anyway, I did not really get an answer to my question. Meanwhile I got the Khada Tone2 in. It sounds well, feeded by normal USB -C input. I can not get the I2S input over the other USB-C input to work so I decided to give normal USB input a try. It gives some noise but it is acceptable levels (unlike iFi Nano iOne who gave much more noise). Maybe I should use a USB decapifrier, like iFi sells?

Anyway the Khadas has a weird interface. I got it working but I should be able to see by the color of the led which MQA signal is processed, however I can not get in a mode that shows me this. I contacted their support but so far I received no proper answer.

It sounds quite well, but not better than the Rasberry Pi 4 with Hifiberry Digipro + that I own. So I am thinking it is not really decoding full MQA.

Anyone who owns a Khadas Tone2 Pro here?

OMG man, tell me how you did it! :slight_smile:
I’m using the exact same DAC, trying to stream to VMV D2 via I2S/HDMI without success, it’s mute.

In Volumio settings I have Output Device: HDMI, I2S DAC: Off

If I switch I2S DAC to On, I need to select a DAC from a looong list but the VMV D2 is not among them.

Thx!