Raspberry Pi and HDMI Sample Rates

Hi Stephane,

Just discovered your solution to improve sound through HDMI… i wanted to give it a try, but am unable to find your boot and modules files. Please, could you post them again?

Thank you!
Fernando

Hi Fernando,

The files can be found here: dropbox.com/sh/7kagpd4cxoru … PbMZa?dl=0
Let me know if you have trouble installing the new kernel.

Hey Stephane,

I used the last files you posted in this thread (in reply to Fernando) and I ran into the issue Tristan had a while ago.
16bit / 44.1 kHz works fine, but as soon as it’s higher (24bit / 192 kHz etc) I only get very loud static noise with a faint hint of the actual music in the far back. To fix this, you had given Tristan a couple of “fixed” (edited?) files to replace, but these files aren’t hosted anymore.

Any ideas?

Hi,

OK, I need some vacations, soon, very soon! :smiley:
You should see two archives in this directory: dropbox.com/sh/7kagpd4cxoru … PbMZa?dl=0 , these are the files Tristan used. And it should work. :wink:

There is a pull request pending in the Raspian github to officially add multichannel HDMI support to the Raspian build:

github.com/raspberrypi/linux/pull/1166

Stephane, you didn’t by any chance happen to change the max_channels line to 8 while you were hacking kernels?
Thanks,
James

Hello,
Yes I did and it did… nothing !
I do not have time at the moment to implement the changes posted above.

Stéphane Acounis

Well, there’s a bunch of other things you need to do to send channels to the right places, but if it’s enabled in your patch I might just give it a go.
I’ve been playing with kernel hacking myself and compiled a kernel for Raspbian lite (jessie) that does work, but I can’t get those changes into Volumio easily. Can you explain a bit what the changes the two linked files will do?
My research suggests that if I swap out the bcm-2835.ko file in /lib/modules/3.18.5-v7+/kernel/sound/arm for another one, it should work, however, I can’t just copy over the one from the kernel I made on Jessie, because that’s Kernel 4.1.18. And I don’t want to compile a whole 'nother kernel just to make a change in 3 lines of code!

So, that’s why I’d like to understand what your files do in a bit better detail, as I may want to share them with others in the DIYaudio community and elsewhere.

Thanks,
James

James, you should consider using a cross-compiler on a Linux box, it’s easy when you follow this instructions: github.com/CirrusLogic/rpi-linu … g-the-code
I can give you an archive with the 3.18.9 kernel, it’s close to the one used on Volumio 1.55. From there you can apply the multi-channels change and see if it does the job.

@stephane, sure, I’ll give it a try :slight_smile:

Hello,

I am having the same problem with a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B and Volumio 2.041.
Every rate above 48khz gets downsampled when using HDMI. I have tried the kernel fix you provided here but it the Respi wouldn’t boot anymore and i figured that not too suprising since the patch was build for Rasberry Pi 2 and Volumio 1.X. Problem is that the Volumio 1.X Versions dont work on Rasberry Pi 3.

So is it possible to apply the same fix to a newer version ? You talked about crosscompiling a custom version and id like to try that but Im not sure how to progress.

If I would use Rasbian for example I would know where to find the files to alter and then compile the distribution, but since I want to use Volumio I dont know how to integrate another kernel which would support the higher sample rate.

Every Input is very much appreciated, thanks.

I’ve never been able to get the kernel changes to work with volumio, so I gave up and went back to using raspbian + squeezelite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk