Raspberry Pi 4 HDMI Trouble [SOLVED]

it only reduced the height of displayed content to 480 but it doesn’t rotate

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/8-8inch-bar-display-with-driver_1600174092270.html?spm=a2700.wholesale.deiletai6.48.2e6565655gMtOa&bypass=true

Please post the output of

cat /boot/config.txt

and

cat /boot/userconfig.txt

with the touch display plugin enabled.

Do you use the display in portait or landscape mode?

initramfs volumio.initrd
gpu_mem=32
max_usb_current=1
dtparam=audio=on
audio_pwm_mode=2
dtparam=i2c_arm=on
disable_splash=1
hdmi_force_hotplug=1

hdmi_cvt=480 1920 60
hdmi_drive=1
hdmi_mode=87
hdmi_group=2
#dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d

max_framebuffer_width=1920
max_framebuffer_height=1920
framebuffer_width=1920
framebuffer_height=480

include userconfig.txt

Userconfig is empty:

# Add your custom config.txt options to this file, which will be preserved during updates

It’s a bit confusing. the Native mode of this thing is portrait mode (I didn’t read the specs carefully) but I want it in landscape

2 Likes

That doesn’t show any rotation setting. Has a rotation other than 0 deg. been set on the plugin’s config page?

2 Likes

The display seems to be similar to the one used in the thead "DIY streamer with volumio in standard 43cm box - #2 by lausiv.

Maybe have a look at the settings in the “userconfig.txt” which has been posted over there and try out the values from that file in your “/boot/config.txt” (apart from “display_rotate=1”).

IT WORKS!!!

You made my day!

I spent several hours and you made in just a few minutes.

I think the framebuffer does the trick because now the display=rotate=1 works!

Great!

What does your “/boot/config.txt” look now?

Are you able to rotate using the touch display plugin?

my config is untouched but the plugin changed my userconfig:

#### Touch Display rotation setting below: do not alter ####

display_lcd_rotate=1
display_hdmi_rotate=1

I never get this config to work on rasperrypi OS so I focused on Xrandr

Good!

Now let me suggest to move the lines

hdmi_cvt=480 1920 60
hdmi_drive=1
hdmi_mode=87
hdmi_group=2

max_framebuffer_width=1920
max_framebuffer_height=1920
framebuffer_width=1920
framebuffer_height=480

from “/boot/config.txt” to “/boot/userconfig.txt”.

This has the advantage that your own entries remain untouched when Volumio gets updated. In contrast /boot/config.txt file gets overwritten (further information).

1 Like

thanks!

I will do so. Finally I can go on with my project :slightly_smiling_face:

Hello,

I am a newb when it comes to Raspberry Pi’s and programming in general. I was able to get Volimio installed on my Rpi4 2gb and I can access it from a PC web browser…But I cannot get the HDMI output to work. just shows a Login screen.

Can someone. give me a complete newb walk through on how to get the HDMI output to work. meaning I want to see the User Interface on the screen.
a simple step by step assume i know nothing tutorial on how to make the HDMI port work with a standard PC monitor or TV

Please and Thank you

1 Like

Look for the Touch Display plugin. You can install it from “Plugins” -> “Search Plugins” -> “Miscellanea”. Be patient… installation can take quite a while. After installing don’t forget to enable the plugin. :wink:

At best nothing more has to be done. If you should encounter issues please provide the brand and exact model name of your screen.

I did that and the on screen keybaord plug in was suggested. zero change. I am using an Liliput 7" HDMI monitor. but also tried a Lg 19" Computer monitor. and a westinghouse 42" TV…same result.

Make sure the screen is connected to HDMI0 port.

Do you see any error messages in the UI when the plugin is starting?

1 Like

sometimes it says “Can’t connect to xserve”

Possibly not all required software packages have been successfully downloaded during plugin installation. I suggest to uninstall the plugin and install again.

BTW: Did you install any other software like lightdm?

I have uninstalled/reinstalled the plugin several times, no change. no other plug ins or software. this was a fresh build so all parts new as well.

1 Like

Please connect to Volumio via SSH.

Then with the touch display plugin enabled post the results of

chromium-browser version

ls -al /tmp/.X11-unix

systemctl status -l volumio-kiosk.service

cat /boot/config.txt

and

cat /boot/userconfig.txt

I haven’t got a clue how to do any of that. no idea what that means