Rasberry Pi - external dac - integrated amp - share your configuration?

Pi 4B/2GB on the back of a 7" Pi screen
USB out directly into the input on my Cambridge Audio Azur 751R Receiver.

Monitor Audio Silver 500 speakers.

Decent (but not fancy) vintage Yamaha turntable, Fosi Audio X4 phono preamp with volume/treble/bass. It has lil vac tubes, doubt they do much, but the thing works so no complaints.

My best vinyl is a Freddie Hubbard 2LP Paris set, fantastic recording. Most of my vinyl is bargain bin or thrift rescues.

The guitars are Ibanez (jazz semi-hollow) and Takamine (jumbo acoustic) if anyone cares.

1 Like

@MrPing I see you got the real Audio Monitors!

Question: Why do so many of you use the Pi3? Is there a reason?

In general, a Raspberry Pi 3 is powerful enough to run Volumio, especially when paired with a DAC HAT. However, if you plan to use a USB DAC, it’s advisable to use a Raspberry Pi 4, as on a Raspberry Pi 3, both the Ethernet (ETH0) and USB share the same BUS. If your intention is to stream high-resolution audio, a Raspberry Pi 4 with 2GB of RAM would better accommodate this

My today configuration.

The box on the right in the picture.
RPi4-4GB
GeekWorm DACPi Dac hat (PCM5122) comes with a nice metal case
27W RPi Power Adaptor (borrowed from RPi 5)
Boot from TeamGroup 256GB USB 3.2 Gen 2
All Naim gear
Spendor S6s

Just be honest with her (and maybe with yourself), tell her it’s an addiction and if you stop buying stuff and setting up your equipment and tuning your hi-fi, you’ll just die. You’ll just freaking die.

This is one I built for my daughter.
Rasp Pi 3A+
Hifiberry Digi2 -Pro
250Gb ssd
Cambridge Dacmagic
Beocenter 1500
Rogers LS4a

Power supply IFi Power 2 to Pi is through HifiBerry. BNC added to Digi2-Pro

3 Likes

lol they’re Gallo Acoustics’ Strada 2’s in a line array config, and TR3D subwoofers. The pylons ( :laughing: ) are just shy of 9’ tall. Old photo - rear wiring is mucho tidy nowadays.
It’s not the sound everyone will want at home, but I’m still looking for the person who doesn’t love it.

Re: @backenst ‘s question why Pi3, I used it with Volumio before I had Pi4’s. Agree with @Wheaten the 4 works better for USB out, but my 3 only has momentary blips when changing tracks - I play only local files.

3 generations of RPi Volumio players

RPi 5
HiFiBerry DAC2 HD
PineBerry M.2 HAT
Integral 2TB M.2 NVMe drive
Official PSU

RPi 4
OSA DACBerry One
1TB SATA/USB HDD
PSU - MeanWell RPS-30-05 5.5V 30W
Douk Audio case

RPi 3
HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro
1TB SATA/USB HDD
Remote Pi IR power board
PSU - MeanWell RPS-30-05 5.5V 30W
Douk Audio case

Marantz CD6005 disc player

Marantz PM6010 OSE amplifier

B&W 602 S2 speakers

Nice @Bigguy2018 Excellent set up. Have you noticed performance differences from the various Pi, in particular the Pi5, do you find that it is much faster than the others?

For Volumio playback all three Pis work fine. The Pi3 is a bit slow to respond sometimes.
The Pi5 in twice as fast as the Pi4 when copying files, browsing and indexing large libraries.

All three DACs are very close, audio quality wise, with the DAC2 HD best by a little bit.

1 Like

Two systems:

Raspberry Pi 4b+ 8GB
Khadas Tone Board (Tone 1) - external usb DAC
Naim NAC 32 with SNAPS power supply, NAP 180

Raspberry Pi 4b+ 8GB
Khadas Tone 2 Pro - external usb DAC
Yamaha AS 2000

Both these systems connect to two pairs of speakers via a Beresford Audio switch.

Speakers:
Kef 104ab (i.e., “old school”)
B&W DM2a (even older school)

Music is located on a home-built server: Khadas Vim 4 running Ubuntu Server, using a 2TB NVME drive as storage.

1 Like

The goal was to get clear but full bodied sound that is as close as possible to the artists’ visions, given the budgetary constraints of being poor.

Pi4 with a Pi2AES hat

A MiniDSP Flex is on the preamp/DAC duties. Here I dial in the crossover, time delays, PEQ, and subwoofer routing for basic room correction. It comes with a Dirac license but in my experience it sounds better without it.

The amplification is done by a barebones build of Hypex NCx500 that has no characteristics.

I live in a big dirty city with garbage electrical infrastructure, so I use Allo Nirvana and iFi SMPS to hopefully clean it up a bit.

This setup, at least to my ears, sounds ‘honest’ with no color or character. Thx.

1 Like

Nice Job @K_B - sure doesn’t look like a poor mans system to me! :smile:

It’s about $2k total, and scrolling through this thread I’m seeing single components that cost more :slight_smile:

really proud of this one

Hi @K_B , curious - what’s the shiny metal cylinder in front of the display?

Oh hah - that’s a weight. The RPi is so light that it gets pulled by all the wires connected to it so I weigh it down.

1 Like

Technicaly, it’s a door stop :grin:

1 Like

an audiophile doorstop :slight_smile:

One more system:
Raspberry Pi4b
Volumio 3.631
Cambridge Audio DacMagic 200m
Rotel A11 Tribute
KEF Q350