Rasberry PI 3 ethernet not working

My NEW PI 3 cannot be seen on my network as an attached device. Ethernet link lights turn on at boot then turn off .One booted up lights cycle on then go out.I also have a PI 2 running same software (volumio) and it works fine.Something is different with the pi 3. I am not a networking guru but I am able to find my way around files. Any help would be most welcome.

hi,
can you be specific about the volumio version used, and whether it was a reflahed image or OTA?
Can you try with re-imaged 2.163?

If the network lights are flashing, and then going out, I am going to guess that the Pi3 is trying (but ultimately failing) to get an IP address via DHCP.

Can you verify that you have a DHCP server on your wired network and that it’s actually working (say, by plugging a laptop in, and seeing if it gets an IP address assigned to its ethernet interface) ? It may be that the Pi2 already has an assigned address and therefore continues to work even if your DHCP server has crapped-out.

New install of v2.163 not connecting to ethernet. The device is not detected on the network.

This same unit worked fine with previous very old version of Volumio.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@rvarey

Just checking: at first boot with new image, did you let the Pi boot for at least 8mn without changing anything/rebooting? First boot does matter.

If you can log into the Pi under console, can you try the following: sudo mv /etc/udev/rules.d/99-Volumio-net.rules /etc/udev/rules.d/99-Volumio-net.back and restart.
Thanks for feedback.

Thanks for your advice. I’m a novice user - how do I do that?

I just modified earlier post: please be sure to read first advice.

To issue command-line you need to log on device.
As I assume you have no network connection, then you’d need to attach a USB keyboard and HDMI screen to Pi, and then log-in as volumio (pass volumio).

Thanks. I’ll try this in the morning. Will let you know how it goes.

Cheers.

Yes, I’ve not restarted the device since first boot.