I got here from a forum suggesting an alternative to my Synology NAS and the DS Audio Player.
A brief explanation of what my current setup is (it does not have to remain this way):
- SYNOLOGY DISK STATION (DS112j) NAS (with 1 TB of HIRES FLACs) … connected via:
- m2tech hiface TWO (USB-S/PDIF Interface) … to a:
- REGA DAC-R … connected to a:
- REGA BRIO-R AMP … and the music is controlled / played back via:
- DS iOS & Android Apps, sometimes also over the broswer on my PC (DS Web-Interface)
MAIN PROBLEMS OF THE SETUP
- DS does not support ReplayGain/VolumeNormalization which makes listening a pain…
- DS does not support multiple genres
…which all made me realize, this is not the perfect setup for my needs!
I’ve been using this for 3 years, it works, but the two issues make it less and less favorable, especially on Synology support users were asking for those two features for 6 years now, myself filed two support tickets in the last years, nothing happened. This is why i decided to find new solutions, and this is how I got here!
What I completely did not understand about Volumio so far is:
- how does Volumio work, do I need to know linux?
- why arent there any screenshots at all? anywhere?
- do i need an extra player, or is Volumio the player? if yes, again: screenshots & features???
- where is a complete list of all supported features? (ReplayGain, Multiple Genres, Playlists etc.)
- there is a Android controller, but is there also an iOS controller?
- but can I also control it from a browser running on no matter what OS (PC/iOS/Android)?
- the combination with the CuBox-i4Pro sounds interesting, but what I do not get is, how do I add my music library?
- would I need to connect my SynoNAS with the CuBox?
- or do I still need the NAS? can I just use the NAS HD with my music collection and connect it via eSATA to the CuBox?
- do you recommend the CuBox or are there any other alternatives maybe better ones (important is the best possible sound with less hastle/DYI on setting it up)?
- does it support multiple synchronous playback on my REGA via the USB-S/PDIF Interface, and external AirPlay speakers, and a bluetooth speaker and maybe later ChromeCast? (so in order to get multiroom music)
- does it support Soundcloud playlists?
- does it support Youtube Audio from videos?
I hope this was not to much asked and hopefully my journey comes here to a good end, as I tried so far PLEX, JRIVER etc… all with no satisfaction.