QNAP and Volumio

Hi everyone,

I purchased the Raspberry Pi 3 and the Allo Boss DAC from the Volumio shop. Got it couple days ago and I have been trying for about 11 hours now to get Volumio to read my music share on my NAS drive.

This is the only method I want to use for Volumio to play music. Since the Shutdown function on the Volumio web UI and the (paid) iOS App does not unmount your USB HDD from the Raspberry Pi correctly. It makes a horrible clanky sound and this obviously, over a number of times will end up damaging my 1TB HDD.

I would be very appreciative if someone could help me to USE the NAS with Volumio.

I found a guide for Synology written by a moderator here and I tried to replicate what he did but no results. The QNAP UI is different to Synology’s. I have the QNAP OS 4.2.

I have also contacted Michelangelo, and he strongly recommends using SMB/CIFS rather. But I have not been able to do it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS. I am pretty illiterate with programming, coding, linux and all those languages so I rely on user interfaces to get things done.

Many thanks,

Silvestre

Hi Silvestre,
I reply here instead of the mail, since it can be useful also to others.

1- Volumio on shutdown, automatically unmounts all your USB drives the safe way. This is actually handled by the OS itself, so the sound you hear from your HDD might be due to it going into power saving mode and stopping to spin.
If you want to be 100% sure you can safely unmount the drive by doing:

• Go to Music library (from browse menu)
  • Click on USB
  • Click the 3 dots on the disk you want to unmount, and select “Safe remove media”.
  • This will safely unmount your drive.

2- Mounting a QNAP NAS should be quite straightforwarding.

• Go to my music
  • Click on add new NAS
  • You should see a list of NAS from your network
  • Click on one, and you will list the shares they have
  • Select the share you want to mount and click add

Your NAS should be mounting at this point, if you need password and user you will be prompted by Volumio

In case this does not work. Delete all your previous mounting attempts, then

• Click on add New Drive
  • On Alias write NAS
  • On IP write the NAS IP (like 192.168.1.12)
  • On Share name write the share name which should be Volume 1 and if you want to add just the folder Music , write Volume1/Music
  • If that does not work, just write Music (I believe this is what will work in your case) on Share Name

Click save

Let me know

Thanks Michelangelo,

I will retry all these steps detailed in your answer regarding NAS shares on Volumio. However, my QNAP TS-210 never appears on any list. Will start from scratch again and try all the possibilities you wrote.

May I ask you, if you are using a Synology NAS? Do you know if Synology is more Volumio friendly than QNAP? Since I am in the market for a new NAS (the 210 is from 2010 or so), I would like to invest in one that is guarantied to work with Volumio, since that is going to be one of the few uses that the NAS will have - a music server for Volumio.

Any tips, more than welcome.

Will report back after finishing work late at night.

Thanks once again,

Silvestre

Well folks… I had a rush of unadulterated happiness running through my whole body. Tears almost formed. But this time, unlike in the darkness of yesterday night, it was of elation! Yes, I have managed to link a folder in my rabidly old Qnap NAS (which I will be upgrading with some help from Papa Xmas) to a QNAP TS-253A to the wonders of Volumio in the Raspberry Pi 3 with its gorgeous Allo Boss hat on top.

So, a huge hug and enormous thank you to you Michelangelo for one of your tips… the one at the end of you post that read:

‘If that does not work, just write Music (I believe this is what will work in your case) on Share Name’.

Hopefully it will stay up and running for a long time.

Much obliged once again! Now let’s fill that NAS with some tunes.

Silvestre.

Hello everyone
I have the same problem as Sylvestre. I have a Qnap NAS with my music files stored.
I downloaded the Volumio APPs.
I entered the IP address of my Nas in SETTINGS
The application says “Searching for devices” while grinding and nothing happens

Thank you for your help,
I