Problems mounting CIFS shares

The problem is that I can not get the GUI to mount my network share. If I mount the directory manually and then go into the Volumio GUI it doesn’t show up and I need to add it. I’ve tried all the suggestions I found on the forums, but I always end up with a red check mark next to the mount point. The first error is always “username specified with no parameter.” My network drive has no user or password requirement so i leave these fields blank, but Volumio seems to require something. I then enter a user name and password and get to the next error “Unknown mount option “noatime”.” So I remove “noatime” from the Mount flags field and then I get “Input/output error.”

Did you ever try to set user=guest with no password in the the web UI?
PS I allway get the red check next to the mount point but i’m able to update my library and browse and use my NAS.

Just signed up to say a big thanks to everyone in this thread - this way of mounting has cured hours of headaches!

One thing I couldn’t work out was how to unmount the drive. I tried several things:

sudo umount -l /mnt/nas/
sudo umount -l /mnt/nas/share/Music
sudo umount -l /mnt/nas/share

but none of it worked? This is more for future reference and not an immediate thing.

Hello together

I am using two BBB’s with Volumio, one with an attached HD, the second syncs over cifs with the first’s HD.
I had the same problem with putting up a share as described in the posttitle. After a little reading volumio now is syncing =)

Thank you all for sharing your experiences on this subject.

What I did:

SSH on 2nd volumio:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install cifs-utils
mount -t cifs //192.168.1.xxx/share /mnt/NAS -o rw,iocharset=utf8,sec=ntlm

‘xxx’ for your specific ip-ending and ‘share’ for the name of your music directory, if there are spaces between words as in ‘usb music’
type ‘usb\ music’
I got a password request, just hit enter.

2nd volumio webUI:
ip: same as above, naturally
remote directory: your share name, if there are spaces between words just type a space eg ‘usb music’
username: guest
no password
in advanced options, mount flags: guest,sec=ntlm

I also used cifs-utils in 1.2, but now I was able to use the GUI.
remember to use lowercase share names
try adding “ro,noatime,sec=ntlmv2” in the advanced options
remember to do this on a new share, delete the old ones

Michelangelo: CIFS and Samba not the same? SMB and CIFS are protocols, Samba is a software package. What do you mean? any SMB/CIFS connection is done using Samba under Linux, no other option.

Dear Michelangelo i’m an italian ,florence user of volumio vers. 1.5 but also with 1.4 and 1.1 i hade issues on my raspberry , as I have never been able to mount my nas MyBookWorld wd . i don’t no how to access to raspberry p+ console from mac and wasn’t able to solve that via webGUI .the sound card is hifiberry + now .also i have a spotify premium account but even when i activate that in the system with user and password it doesn’t show up anywhere.
please help in my mission to help friends with old cd to bring back to life music with the great Volumio solution …thanks in advance

valter

i forgot to say that i use a mac laptop.

The Mac has the application “Terminal” for that, but you should not need it anyway.
Try following the instructions here:
smb-cifs-shares-volumio-t1461.html

If you have questions ASK HERE, not in that thread.

A noob follow up question - This worked to resolve the problem I had, but each time I reboot I need to remount the NAS drive.

Where would this command need to be placed so that it runs on boot up? Or rather, the ‘right’ place?

Hi,

I reflashed using V2.001 and everything is now working fine.

Many thanks,
Eric

I’ve just run into this. Mount was previous working fine and after I nuked my install by upgrading to the new broken test build, I reinstalled, and set everything up.

Once done, I need to move my PI over to there I run it from, so powered down and brought it back up in the new location. It was playing music fine, then stopped playing giving me decode errors. Looked at my library and the mount had dropped. Nothing I could do from the UI would bring it back up.

From the CLI I’m able to mount the drive fine, but not from the GUI? I’ve “factory reset” the install but still doesn’t work.

Only difference here is the first time it was mounted was via a network cable. New location using WiFi instead, but it did seem to play 2-3 tracks via there after moving it!

Any ideas? :confused:
mount.PNG

Error when trying to mount;

CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -6

Sounds like it’s suddenly wanting me to provider usernames and passwords when the share doesn’t need one?

:blush:

No idea how it was working originally, but the problem appeared to be that I was missing the last / off the path? :unamused:

Hello Everybody,

I´ve just set up a PI4 and Volumio 3.233 and I cannot set my NAS to work properly

It´s a D=Link 320l and, as everybody ele, it works flawlessly with windows and every other player in the network

Reading this topic, I tryed to mount manually by

But I only get as a response that the Host is Down

I´ts been past 15 years since I used any Linux distro, so please cut me some slack, ok ?

Thank you in advance for any help

Solved it.

Just added vers=1.0 to the end of the command

And with some minor thinkering also volumio recognized the NAS

1 Like

In volumio you can do the same in the options field:
rw,iocharset=utf8,sec=ntlm,vers=1.0

Now I just need to make this mount permanent.