Problem with volumio_data not expanding

I understand it is poor form to answer your own posts but:

When I first flashed volumio version Feb 2019, I had inadvertently left a USB thumb drive containing my music files when booting and I had the “bug” described in this topic.

After running out of space, I flashed a new SD card and had the same “bug”. The USB thumb drive remained attached.

For my third try, I removed the USB thumb drive, reflashed the micro SD, reinserted,rebooted and was greeted with the expected behaviour. I have an expanded partition with a filesystem to match.

In my case the problem was caused by having a thumb drive attached during the initial boot. It appears this drive causes the expand filesystem logic to fail.

Thanks for an enjoyable product.
Regards, Alf :smiley:

@alfb, thanks very much for reporting this, we will investigate/ check the logic.

Am about to do a 3rd re-build, in pre-checking with an alternate SDRAM got the filesystem to auto expand. Be interesting to see if the 64Gb one will do same. Note did not have other USB device in the Raspberry Pi so that does not seem to have been problem.

Main reason for re-install had some problems with the Touch Screen. Not power that was first issue, more related to the configuration of touchscreen, e.g. disabling the mouse cursor and preventing error message as per smartroad’s post on all things Touchscreen. Am considering dropping touch screen and changing to a 32Gb in case that helps me.

Thank you to all for responses.

The frustration continues, scrapped the Touchscreen, seems two problematic for me. Simple latest version 2.565 downloaded. Wrote to newly formatted 64Gb, installed and back to same result partition 3, volumio_data shows 265Mb only :frowning:

Manually resized external of Raspberry Pi, put back in. Initially worked showed up as the close to 60Gb available on the 64Gb SDRAM. Then after install of the backup plugin followed by a power off and later power on. Corrupted partition !!

Think think this is a point where I give up on Volumio, sad to say. Frustrating been running a reticulation system, Open Sprinkler, on raspberry pi for nearly 7 years. One SDRAM failed on me 4 years in quick re-build on another SDRAM, import backup been ok since. This survives hitting 75C+ in Australian summer.

Been running a Pi-hole for about 12 months just had the SDRAM fail, had been in use for about 12 months prior in Musicbox (alternate though now seemingly no longer supported, to Volumio). Prior to that many uses for trying out, testing out Kodi, OpenElec, and a printer server for two home printers. Realistically SDRAM had been in use a lot.

Guess point am making is the 64Gb was a new first time use in Volumio. So not sure if it is the SDRAM or Volumio that is at fault.

Once again thank you for assistance to the community. Am sad to say will have to give up.

I had the same issue as @gordont described at the beginning of this post but managed to solve it by reducing the block size when writing the .img file onto the SD card.
I use linux’s dd command to write the .img file on a 128Go SD card which I also use to store all my music files. I had to reset my Volumio system recently and wrote it from both an old version (2018-12-07) and the freshest one. But the volumio_data partition was always strangely reduced (it was strange because the lsblk command would display a +100Go partition whereas it was reduced to 250Mo when mounted).
I followed this guide to write Volumio and it’s where I found changing block size could help. I changed it from 4M to 1M as follows and it worked, the problem was solved. The volumio_data expanded correctly, I could copy all my music on the SD card and it became accessible after the first music library scan.

dd bs=1M if=volumio-2.565-2019-03-12-pi.img of=/dev/mmcblk0 conv=fsync

I did all of this with no other USB drives connected as @alfb suggested, but I already had none when the writing failed.
Hopefully it’ll help!

Thank you for the update, have had one more go. Using dd as has been suggested. File system expansion worked.

This time pulled out touchscreen not added that in. Then left all default and have not added any plugins. Previously was installing backup, and obviously the touchscreen plugin.

This time rather than copying the music I have by bringing SDRAM to a computer and copying. Preferred to do mounting the Samba share on volume and writing up as guest user. Slower though seems to work.

Am awaiting next update to see if it survives that. At which point may gain some confidence to add backup plugin, make playlists perhaps even change appearance.

All being well maybe I will get more than a couple of weeks with this working. Which would be fantastic as Volumio is clearly leader in a straightforward media player for mixed own content, Airplay, DLNA, Spotify + others, and online radio playing.

Last update on this, recently did the upgrade 2.565 to 2.572 and can report no problems.

Seems my issues where one of:
Method of writing image, used Etcher had problems, used “dd” ok
Tried with Touch Screen, had separate power supply, no go always seemed to cause corruption
The 64Gb class 10 did not work, switched to a slower older 64Gb all ok with that one
Copied music files on through mount of SDRAM on an Ubuntu system and copy over, no go. Copied over Samba slow through has so far not failed
No additional customisation, as in default screen background, no uploaded images. No plugins

With that in place is stable, shame really the customisation, backup plugin for example, screen backdrop et al is a cool feature. As is having a Touch Screen. However great product even without that just frustrating to only be able to have stable build when ignoring those things.